Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Not sure if this solution was addressed somewhere so I figured I would just post it and hopefully it will help somebody....I like full screen and I love the ability to swipe between apps when in full screen, but I don't like the fact that I cannot see the menubar clock and the menubar battery charge in full screen especially when I am in Safari and am surfing for a long time...I also hate the fact that mail in full screen forces you to finish an email you are writing or save it in draft before you can check a new email that comes in...I also wish that some of the apps that are not full screen functional such as my financial software had full screen ability......WELL, a friend of mine passed on this great tip to me and I love it and it seems to solve all my above issues so hopefully it will help somebody else:

1. Open the app you want in the original desktop.

2. Go to Mission Control

3. In Mission Control, drag the window that is open for that app to the upper right corner to the + sign to create a new space.

4. Expand the window in that new space by pressing the green dot in the upper left corner to get the window to cover the whole screen.

5. Voila, you now have full screen with the menubar and the app has its own space so you can now swipe between apps using the 3 finger technique. And if you do this for mail, you can check your new mail as it comes in while you are writing new mail.

I kept iPhoto and iTunes in normal full screen mode because I like it that way, but this alternative way for mail and safari and my other apps works the way I like it until apple updates options.

Hope that helps somebody. :)

klava1985

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2014
what green dot?

I don't see a green dot in the upper left of a new desktop in mission control. All I have is an X to delete that destop. If I simply open that desktop and hit the fullscreen arrow, I don't have the menu bar--it acts like every other desktop/app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.