Make your own TransFormer... well PaperFormer

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Aug 27, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

haha nice...nice indeed

i remeber a few names of them ..as far as i remeber i have still that jackpot guy around and a huge helicopter transfoming guy

3. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ohhhhhhhhh ****! that's the nuts mate. i knew my epson 4000 (being delivered in an hour :) ) would be useful for something hahaha. i'm gonna have to make a ton of these. but first, i must dig out my transformers t-shirt....

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Make a ton of these, my ass! :p

Ha, I look forward to pics there iGav. That's not a small amount of work for any one of these - and the instructions leave a lot to figure out on your own (where to fold or connect). I've spent plenty of time making things out of paper, cardboard, etc. One of these should take hours to get right. I'd use some hefty paper too :D

Cool idea, though.

Good luck :)

D

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

What size printer is that?? could you make like a really huuugggggeeeeeeee PaperFormer with that bad boy??? :eek: :D

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The 4000 is a large format printer - I think 17" wide and you can put in sheets or a roll. But if you wanted to make a huge paper former, you could still use regular printer, a little editing of the pdf in Illustrator and you can make the piece any size you want. You'd just have to print out a bunch of sheets. Which given the number and complexity of the pieces, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Besides, having a meter high Paperformer on your desk would be impressive.

Lets see some pics :D

D

7. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

never thought of that ;) :D

now I need to go buy some card and ink cartridges! :D

8. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

yeah it's 17" wide, so as Mr. A said, you could in effect print each piece onto a separate sheet, making a heeuuuge paperformer :D ....... i'm thinking 6' tall here. :p :cool:

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

contest anyone?

I'm thinking I'm going to have to go out and get some glue - I have the card stock and exacto knife (no scissors for me, you get better control with the knife) also for scoring the edges so they bend nicely.

Now, as to which one....and it will be a meter tall :D

D

10. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

haha, oh i think we have to now :) i just took delivery of my printer, although i won't set it up until next week when i finally move into my new apartment. i have a load of paper that i have no professional need for too :) ink may be costly though heh.

and now, indeed, which one(s)? :)

iGAV, i hate you sometimes ;)

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, I did a little looking around at these files - they're just images, so resizing isn't all that great. I'll test print a 300% larger version and see what I get and let you know. (the issue I thinking is going to be the fact that the line thickness will increase and look like crap, which wouldn't have been the problem if it was a vector file).

D

12. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

If you wanted to be hardcore about it you could redo the files in Illustrator so they are scalable -or use something like Genuine Fractals Print Pro to upsize the original files.

13. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

yeah they're pretty basic shapes, i was thinking of recreating them anyhow. i'll give them a go in fractals, and clean them up a bit afterwards maybe....but not today, i have too many things to do, and once i start with this, i won't be stopping for a while!