Makin' Music on My Mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by greyfalco, Sep 28, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello All...

I have a Powerbook G4 (1.5 ghz) and I would like to buy a midi keyboard and the approprite software to make music. It would best if it was easy software and could do a realistic piano (sampled piano) and I could output it onto a CD or .aiff file or something like that. Could anyone tell me what I should get?

2. macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Garageband!

3. macrumors 68000

disconap

Garageband is only worth using if it came for free with your system. Cubase LE is a nice, lightweight application, or just use whatever comes with the midi-adapter you buy (or your keyboard, if your keyboard ends up being USB).

4. macrumors 68040

decksnap

I think Garageband is worth using regardless. What is it, like $100 for the whole iLife suite? Garageband rocks.

5. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

since it sounds like you're new to this, I would recommend GarageBand. It is much easier to learn the basics in that than to jump right into some pro apps.

also, if you're a student, Logic Express is only $149.

6. macrumors member

fusionstudios

If your looking for an affordable MIDI controller go with M-Audio. Excellent quality for the price. Depending on your budget, I've found that it's probably better to buy quality software and a cheaper MIDI controller, especially if you're just getting started. If you're looking to do a lot of sampling, look into Propellerhead's Reason. Also, if you've used and outgrown Garageband, Logic Express is a excellent step up. Good Luck!

7. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

agreed. They have a great 4 octave controller for $129.99. Great deal if you ask me.