Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greyfalco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Hello All...

I have a Powerbook G4 (1.5 ghz) and I would like to buy a midi keyboard and the approprite software to make music. It would best if it was easy software and could do a realistic piano (sampled piano) and I could output it onto a CD or .aiff file or something like that. Could anyone tell me what I should get?

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
greyfalco said:
Hello All...

I have a Powerbook G4 (1.5 ghz) and I would like to buy a midi keyboard and the approprite software to make music. It would best if it was easy software and could do a realistic piano (sampled piano) and I could output it onto a CD or .aiff file or something like that. Could anyone tell me what I should get?

Garageband!

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Garageband is only worth using if it came for free with your system. Cubase LE is a nice, lightweight application, or just use whatever comes with the midi-adapter you buy (or your keyboard, if your keyboard ends up being USB).

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I think Garageband is worth using regardless. What is it, like $100 for the whole iLife suite? Garageband rocks.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
since it sounds like you're new to this, I would recommend GarageBand. It is much easier to learn the basics in that than to jump right into some pro apps.

also, if you're a student, Logic Express is only $149.

fusionstudios

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2006
If your looking for an affordable MIDI controller go with M-Audio. Excellent quality for the price. Depending on your budget, I've found that it's probably better to buy quality software and a cheaper MIDI controller, especially if you're just getting started. If you're looking to do a lot of sampling, look into Propellerhead's Reason. Also, if you've used and outgrown Garageband, Logic Express is a excellent step up. Good Luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.