making a bonfire, supposed to rain

Discussion in 'Community' started by v idioteque v, Jul 26, 2005.

1. v idioteque v macrumors newbie

So I'm in charge of making the bonfire for a friend's party tommorow night, however there is a 40% chance of rain. The party will still go on, and there will be a bonfire! So I'm asking for help please! How do you build a bonfire in the rain? Even if it's just drizzling? Please I need all the help I can get!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Plan ahead.

Use dry wood, build the bonfire, and cover it with a tarp until the time to light it.

Cover your wood that will be added to the fire with a tarp as well and only pull out what you need when you need it.

You won't have a problem.

3. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Mildly wet wood will still burn.

Just stack the firewood leaning against itself in a pyramid-lake shape. Once you got that stacked up, place progressively smaller dry sticks, twigs, leaves, brush, etc underneath and inside that.

Make sure it is stacked in such a way that the inside is protected from the rain, but at the same time still open enough to get air to burn what's inside.

Light it from within so the smaller dry stuff lights (will light up much easier than the big logs), and as it begins to burn, the twigs will catch fire, then the sticks will catch fire, and after a short time, your logs will begin burning.

Your fire will be burning from the inside out, and the "heart" of the fire will be protected from the elements.
    ;)

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

don't use anything other than dry wood... even mildly wet wood will be a hassle...

and don't be afraid to use lighter fluid, kindling, etc... just be careful about it

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Avoid gasoline and tires ;)

Personally, with the heat index up to 110 today, being near a bonfire is about the last place in the world I'd want to be. It's hard to even think of fire in this heat.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Go to the hardware store and get some of those wax-based starters if you're worried about your fire-building abilities at all. Then build the above mentioned pyramid shaped pile and proceed as directed.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Do not use gasoline or lighterfluid - just make sure you have dry wood. Once the fire gets going and you have some hot coals, it won't really matter if the wood is wet - it will all burn once the fire is hot enough.

It shouldn't be that difficult. But you might want to set up the kindling in the fire pit before hand and put a tarp over it as well as the wood you'll use later. Starting a fire on wet ground is a little more difficult sometimes.

Good luck,

D

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I don't think this can be said enough ...

DO NOT USE GASOLINE.

Like other posters have said, practice fundamental fire-building techniques. Also make extra efforts to keep *all* of your wood dry and you'll be fine.

You might find some help here, as well:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+build+a+bonfire

9. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

go to your local grocery store with a truck and see of you can snag some of the pallets that they use for shipping large quantities.
    you will need about a dozen or so of them to have a raging bonfire for about 2 hours. on second thought you might want a few extras those things burn quick, but they burn really well. after you have gotten your fire started you can just toss on a pallet or two each time it keeps going down. you can also stack the pallets that haven't been burned yet and use them for seating.
    as for the rain, keep all your wood covered by a tarp until it is ready to go in the fire, and make sure everyone is comfortable, it would be a bummer to put a lot of work into a good bonfire and not have anyone enjoy it.
    have fun. be safe.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A word of caution about pallets: They contain nails that do not burn. This is ok if you are using a dedicated fire pit, but not if you are using a makeshift one that someone could step on later. This is particularly relevant on the beach were impromptu fire pits are the norm and the nails easily dissappear into the sand.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Frankly I thought there would be more pyromaniacs on here.. you know, statistically speaking. :)

12. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

good point i hadent thought about that. I usually do my bonfires on a beach that has an area that is sort of dedicated to being a party area so there is broken glass and what not everywhere, nobody dares approach it without wearing shoes, and if someone were to accidentally fall and cut themselves badly, the hospital is only a five minute drive.

13. v idioteque v thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Well I built it this afternoon. It's big. All the wood was dry. I did

kindling-> teepee(?)-> Log cabin -> Random pieces of wood -> Giant teepee

It's really stable and everything is dry. I put a tarp over it because tonight it's supposed to rain a little. I'm just curious, why shouldn't I use lighter fluid? Wouldn't it help it light up easier, especially with a drizzle?

Thanks again for the comments. And yes, I had googled it before I posted it here, I'm not that dumb.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That strikes me as incredibly funny. Nothing against googling for a good way to build a nice proper raging bonfire.. more the 'use the high-tech to find the low-tech solution' irony.

15. v idioteque v thread starter macrumors newbie

yes yellow, quite ironic.

I need a crazy idea to start the fire! I was thinking, wrap the end of an arrow in cloth, put kerosene on the cloth, light it, then launch it into the base of the fire! But none of us have a bow, so that wouldn't work.

Then i thought, tie a string of floss from a tree to the base of the bonfire, put a toilet paper roll on it, then put something in that and put it on fire, and let it glide onto the fire to set it off!

any ideas are welcome indeed.

16. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

The floss won't work (it'll melt and drop the toilet paper to the ground) and the arrow is too dangerous (trust me, I've tried both).

If you're familiar w/ a 9v and steel wool, you can setup a detonator off to the side of the fire and have a celebratory countdown of sorts. :) You may need a small cup of kerosene or something (a flammable powder, maybe) to make a dramatic flare and light the fire (wood has to be really dry), but it's impressive.

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I like the toilet paper idea, personally. The world needs more flaming toilet paper on a string.

18. v idioteque v thread starter macrumors newbie

tell me about this 9v and steel wool. I'm looking for crazy ideas.

19. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Ever lick a 9v battery?

Apply that to steel wool. :)