Making a "book" in a video project...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SilentPanda, Mar 3, 2005.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    So I'm going to be working on video project that I need to have done by November. I figure starting now should give me *plenty* of time. I currently have a Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 ghz, 768 MB RAM, and I can easily hook it up to my 20" widescreen to run at 1680 x 1050. I also have ready access to a PowerMac G5 1.8 GHZ with 2 GB of RAM. Computing power isn't an issue.

I also have (of course) iMovie HD and Final Cut Express 2.0. I am willing to upgrade to Final Cut Express HD or possibly purchase the Production Suite (I have an Edu discount which would make the cost $500 instead of $1200) to complete this project.

Soooo... here's what I would like to do video editing buffs! I want to have a book (possibly similar looking to a book printed from iPhoto) with the pages turning. Preferrably this would either be a real book or a very realistic computer generated book. On each page would be a short video "in the book". Imagine the look of a person reading their child a story and as they flip each page, the page has a video on the page.

The ways I have thought of doing this (and I've never attempted this sort of thing before) would be to do one of the following:

1) Video an empty book and "green/blue screen" the portions of the book where the video would appear. Possibly use fishing line or something similar to turn the pages. Turning the pages by hand is a possibility also if need be. Then composite the video clips onto the green/blue spaces. Biggest problem is that when the page turns the video will not "roll" with the page. Possible solution would be to fade in to/out to black.

2) Create a "digital" book using some program. Biggest problem with that however is I probably wouldn't be able to do this to save my life.

I'm leaning towards option 1. Would Final Cut Express be able to do this? I've done some editing in FCE but nothing at this level. Fading the video in to/out to black or having a static starting and ending frame is a possibility if that would help.

This is why I'm starting now instead of October. This should give me a few months to do some proof of concepts for myself.

Also, maybe I'm just trying too hard... which is a possibility. I thought about using Keynote 2 and using the page turn transition as this would work pretty well except I desire to have a more "realistic" book feel too it. KeyNote 2 will probably be my route should all others fail.

Thanks for taking (or not taking... :)) the time to read my lengthy post and feel free to offer suggestions (experienced ideas, web sites, books, etc).
  2. firewizard macrumors member

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    ive done something like this, not with a book though. i did it on a rotating 3d rotating cube each side having a video clip, the program i used is called cinema 4d. i know there is a free version which should be able to handle this, called cinema4d go. but seeing you kinda want to stay away from using programs....using multiple techinques and compositing in final cut should work. im sure if you play around with it long enough youll find something that works for you....and from experience along the way youll discover other cooler things you could do that you might like better.