Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
I hope someone can help me...
I have kids and basically everything gets wrecked in this house. I buy cd's and then like to make copies so that the kids can use them which means that they get destroyed. This way I still have a perfect backup should I need to make another. I used to do this with my old PC and I love my iMac but have made too many coasters and its making my monkey crazy!
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Mick

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
1. Insert CD.
2. Launch Disk Utility.
3. On the left, there will be 3 CD icons. Click the middle one (probably called Session 1).
4. Images menu -> New -> Bottom choice.
5. Give it a name.
6. Image Format: DVD/CD Master.
7. Save.
8. Wait patiently.
9. Images -> Burn.
10. Find the image.
11. Let it write to CD.

Hope this helps :)

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
Thanks guys...one thing:
I"m only getting 2 cd icons in the window...
one for the drive
one for the cd.
Therefore no icon marked session...
any ideas?

acidrock

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2004
The Evergreen State College
hey I'm not sure how big your hard drive is but why not just back your music up on your computer? I have on mine, that way if I somehow loose a Cd i can just re burn it. I have all my music on my computer, actually, and I use it as my stero, it's kinda cool, every time I hear a Cd which is like 7-12 hours of the day, I don't need to put one in, and it's easy to make mix Cd's etc. This way you also don't end up burnning your entire collection, god that could kill.
But I would recommend Toast.

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
Thanks everyone for posting here and helping me out. I've taken your advice and went out and bought a copy of Toast and the problem has been solved. I had a burning app on my PC but thought that I could do it all with the Mac utility. It is just that though; a utility.
Thanks again,
Mick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.