Making a copy of Office?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by dobbin, Jun 17, 2003.

1. dobbin macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2002
    My brother is going to Australia for a few months. He has bought an ibook to take with him as he doesn't think he can manage without his iMac.

His problem is that he can't find his MS Office X CD. So I have 2 questions:

1: Is it legal to make a second copy of Office on the ibook if he will not be using his iMac at all while he is away?
    2: Can he copy Office from his iMac to his iBook (using either his ipod or burning a CD or DVD) without needing the original CD?

I know this is not possible on a PC, but as I understand it, OS X keeps all the application software in one folder and may work on a mac.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS. My brother saw my cube and liked it, so he switched from PC to a 17" iMac, ipod, dig camera etc. I am now envious of his newer machine although I really love my cube a lot.
  2. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    AFAIK as far as I know Office is licenced for one user and one machine so no it isn't legal to put it on two machines. Then again, if the imac will not be used whilst office is on the ibook then that is probably OK. If anyone else uses his imac whilst he's away it isn't OK. I think technically you should delete it from the imac when you put it on the ibook to be strictly legal....which of course he'll do:rolleyes:

2) I think you should be able to drag the Office folder from one machine to another over a network but I haven't tried.
  3. zoikers macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2003
    One way to transfer files effectively from one Mac to another is to first power one Mac down (The one that you want to transfer the files to). Connect the two via a Firewire cable. Now power up the Mac while holding down the T key on your keyboard.
    You will now see the Hard Drive of the Mac that you were powering up on the desktop of the Mac that was on. Drag and drop the file(s) that you wish to share.

It is really very easy. I have three Macs and have done this many times.:) :) :)
  4. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2002
    caveman_uk and zoikers - thanks for your ideas. I will get my brother to try the firewire link. That sounds very easy.

The iMac will be back in its box in the attic while he is away so I hope this is legal. In my opinion it is definitely morally OK as he is not trying to rip MS off.

Can anyone confirm if he will have all the needed files merely by copying the Office folder to the ibook?

5. kylos macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2002
    Only problem that I foresee is if he lost the cd, does he have the authorization code?. I'm pretty sure a drag and drop requires reauthorization so he'll need the number.

Yeah, it's perfectly legit. If I remember correctly, you're allowed by the EULA (not considering the views of many concerning the legitemacy of EULA's) to run it on one machine at a time, so there won't be a problem unless you get desperate and start using his imac while he's gone.

Copying the office folder will move the entire app. However he'll want to copy his prefs (in ~/library/preferences/microsoft) and also ~/documents/microsoft user data for all his microsoft prefs and such.

**Oh, and erasing office from the imac as cavman_uk suggested might make it more *legal*, but there's nothing morally wrong with the scenario you've detailed.
  6. Macette macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2002
    yes, you can just copy the office folder across - i've done it heaps of times.
  7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    you seem really worried about the legalities of this, dobbin. no one is going to hunt any one person down for making their own copy for personal use. my advice is to just not worry about it.
  8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I know some software gives you a license for one desktop and one laptop, i suggest you check that out you may turn out lucky. I"m pretty sure the macromedia products do this, although i can't afford most of them.
  9. frescies macrumors regular

Dec 9, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    ah peice of cake!

If you copy the preference file over from his home/library to the one on his ibook, it might retain the serial number (never tried it though :D).
  10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man for the legality, the EULA states:

"You may make a second copy of the Software Product and install it on a portable Device for the exclusive use of the person who is the primary user of the first copy of the Software product. A license for the Software Product may not be shared.", since your brother is a licensed user of Office, he is allowed to install it on *his* iBook as well as his iMac......oh yeah!
  11. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    copy it over, and if it works it works, leave it at that. microsoft isnt gonna come after you, dont worry about it being legal, just do what needs to be done.

12. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2002
    Well, i am in a similar situation, my dad has Office v.X, and I want a copy. I dont wanna pay full price for an install CD that I don't need. Is there a way to buy a new CD Key and license and use his CD?

Also, i don't think office v.X can be used by 2 computers on the same LAN at the same time. I guess M$ is trying to "Keep honest people honest" incase they "forget" to close office on their desktop before opening it up on their laptop...
  13. ratspg macrumors regular

Dec 19, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    wow u guys are crazy

Wow, this is too much... are you guys really serious? Just take the Office folder from one, copy it, and paste it on the other desktop. Why did you buy Office X? To use it im sure... so use it away... you really plan on buying more than one copy and ONE license for FAMILY use? come on guys.... this is sick :) lol... copy/paste to the other computer, and enjoy office productivity, thats why you got it.
  14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I don't think this is correct... anyone?

and btw, I agree with ratspg. I don't care what the laws say either way... we're talking about the original owner putting it on two of his own machines... you've gotta be kidding me.
  15. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    haha that cd probably cost next to nothing to make, thats the thing you are paying full price for the key, not the cd. and yes you are right, you cannot have 2 copies of office with the name serial on the same network open. final cut pro 4 does that same thing.

16. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    MS does not stop you from running more than one copy of office at the same time anywhere.
    I know.
    We had to share for a bit until our CDs cam for our other two computers.
    Seeee, we did buy office we just needed it before the CDs got here and I already had a copy.
    1 desktop + 1 portable personal computing device (laptop/notebook) at the same time. Same owner and user ONLY.

Now if i have given any of you illegal ideas - 'DONT' - like apple says - dont steal music - well - dont steal software. :D
  17. maradong macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    of course we wont ;-)
  18. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA

If both computers are every plugged into the same LAN/network at the same time, you will run into some problems. MS Office v. X talks on a random port on a wide port range and looks for other Versions of Office with the same Serial Numbers. If more than one Copy is open and running on another mac on the network, you get an error when you try to start one of the apps up.

I personaly dont like the idea of Office creating network traffic that I dont need so I have all that blocked at my firewall. The side effect would be no problems running more than one copy.

The frist versions of Office v. X did not talk on random ports, so it was a simple fix to block the few ports you needed to at your firewall. Now it uses a hash function to generate the random port number.... makes things a little harder to block.