Making a disk image

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by flat6, Dec 6, 2004.

1. flat6 macrumors regular

I use the disk utility, but no matter which section of the above dialogue I select, after I click "New Image" and select some settings, I get a nice "Device Busy" message.

[​IMG]

So, how do I go about getting some files stored in a disk image?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are trying to create an image of your hard drive on your hard drive. That cannot work. You should go to the Images menu. You have a choice of several selections there. Alternately, you can create an image of your hard disk if you store it on a larger external drive.

3. Dandaman macrumors 6502

sorry, kind of a noob question here, but what exactly are disk images for other than the disk images i get when i download something? i've heard people talking about making a disk image, but not sure, what they mean by it. thanks

daniel

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hey there Dandaman -

Disk Images serve three major purposes:
    1. Distribution (for Mac OS X software over the Internet)
    2. Archival (compressed disk images)
    3. Storage (read-write and read-write encrypted disk images)

I don't distribute anything in disk image format, but I do archive things in a disk image (select Images->New Image->Image from Folder..., choose the folder I want to archive, select "Compressed" as the type of disk image, choose where I want the disk image stored, and wait while Disk Utility creates the image) and store things inside one (select Images->New Image->Blank Image..., choose the size of the blank image, select "Read/Write" as the type of disk image, add encryption if I want it and choose a password, choose where I want the disk image stored, wait while Disk Utility creates the image, then drag stuff to the image to copy it there). When I'm done using a disk image, regardless of what I was using it for, I simply eject it like I would eject any other disk.

5. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for clearing that up guys, I now know how to use it.

6. Dandaman macrumors 6502