Making a DVD from AVI

Discussion in 'macOS' started by baummer, Oct 6, 2006.

1. baummer macrumors 6502a

I have been trying to convert an avi file that is 465MB and plays beautifully on my Mac, so it can play on my DVD player. I have tried the following methods:

1. Convert AVI file to DVD using ffmpegx and then burned to a DVD using Toast Titanium using the DVD-from VIDEO_TS option.

Result: DVD didn't play on either the computer or the DVD player.

2. Convert AVI file to DVD using Toast (no pre-encoding).

Result: Played on both the computer and the DVD player, but the video quality was blotchy and boxy. Audio was fine.

3. Convert AVI to DVD using VirtualHub.

Result: Same as #2.

Is there something I can do to make it mirror the quality that it has whilst playing on my Mac onto DVD, or am I out of luck? I really hope there's something I can do.

2. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

Using the Toast method (creating the DVD from in there) is probably the easiest still. From what it sounds like, you need to tweak the encoder settings a bit. Click the video tab, then choose DVD-Video in Formats, then click the More button. Click Encoding, then click Custom instead of Automatic and play with the settings in there a bit.

To save on media, you might want to save test disc images (Go to File, then choose Save as Disc Image) and play them in DVD player to see how they look. When you get one you like, just burn it to DVD.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

since you're re-encoding something, you're always going to lose on quality. chances are the resolution of the original AVI is lower than the 720x480 of a DVD, so it need to scale it as well, causing it to be blocky. you can try running the video through a bunch of filters to clean it up if you have any video editing software.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What's the resolution on the video? I find that Visual Hub makes decent DVD's using some of the 480 x 360 h.264 clips I have.

5. Maureen Farrer macrumors newbie

Tost Titanium

I have downloaded a movie and it is in AVI but has sub titles when I burn
    it in Toast the subtitles weren't attached, so when I played it on my dvd
    there were no subtitles. How can I correct this.
    Thanks