Making a Faster Transition from OS 9 to OS X. . .

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Shrek, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

You know, Apple wants to move everyone that is still using OS 9 to OS X as quickly as possible. Apple has a user base of about 25 million and only little more than 20% of those (or over 5 million) are using OS X.

I think one way this could be done faster is by coming out with an upgrade version of Panther (OS X 10.3). This should allow a user to upgrade from OS 9, 10.0, 10.1, or 10.2 to 10.3 and should be sold for about half the price of the full version (I think that's fair enough ;)). The main goal of this product should be to help speed along the transistion from OS 9 to OS X.

I know that Apple may lose money by doing this, but it may be the only way to really speed up this critical part of their long-term strategy.

That's just my 2 cents. ;)

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i thinnk the people who paid for jaguar and osx woudl be very very very mad. I mean its logical for apple to do this but i think its more liekly they will severe 9 as they have already done and eventually force people to upgrade to x. they need a better reason to (better hardware, 970) for ppl to buy new hardware and hence move to osx. I have a feeling the most important thing is new hardware sales.

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

I think apple is OK just letting OS 9 users bleed themselves. this happens to MS too, with XP. there are still a ton on the old junk. with any luck, 10.3 will be another major incentive for users to upgrade. i don't think that people should be able to get OS X from OS 9 without spilling $130 or so. it really wouldn't be fair otherwise, and Apple can't afford that IMO--that is, making a whole different release like MS does.

how long after OS 9's advent did it take for most of apple's useer base to adopt it?

4. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Why do you think that?

5. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

because we would have had to pay $130 + whatever they charge for panther to get to where they got with only $50-65?

6. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Hey, look on the bright side. At least those who are already using OS X will only have to pay $50-$65 to upgrade again. :p

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

lol. perhaps. i'd almost rather pay 129$ just so they do too though!

... just kidding :D ;)

8. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

One thing I just thought of, though. If there were an upgrade version of OS X, what would be the point in anyone buying the full version? Hmmm.

9. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I think this 'idea' shows a complete misunderstanding of why people have not moved to OSX.

The reason there are so many non-X machines out there is because there are lots and lots of computers still in use from before Apple started having machines boot into OSX.

Most people use whatever is on their machine.

Apple computers last a very long time. Look at all the SEs or Apple IIes out there.

For a true transition to occur you need to upgrade all the existing hardware. This is why the transition will be slow. People use their computers until they break down (like a car). Most people don't buy new computers every few years, and most institutions will continue using old computers simply because they work.

The fact that so many people haven't 'switched' to OSX isn't because there is anything holding them back. It is because they haven't bought a new computer in a few years. This isn't a bad thing. It simply shows that Apple computers are extremely reliable.

A cheaper update will do nothing to change the number of OSX users. Apple simply needs to wait until all those old reliables break down.

10. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Is it not easyer to borrow the instalation disc from a friend?

11. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Software has also played a big role in people not making the transition to X yet, and though now just about all software is available in X with the exception of Quark I don't think most users are aware of that yet. Apple did a fine job with the switch campaign but they didnt go far enough, where are all the ads (magazines and tv) that boasted everything OS X has to offer other than iApps, they are non-existant.
    Apple's problem right now is not the price, if you make someone want something they will pay for it whether they need it or not, just look at all the people on here that are salivating over the 970's though 75% of them are probably not even in the market for a new powermac nor will they buy one, Apple needs to figure out why it can lure everyone into the new hardware but not the OS.

12. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

HAHAHAHA
    oh lord,
    following a bit of logic, i think maybe apple needs to make WORSE computers that will break in about 4-5 years so that they have kess trouble trying to force users to upgrade. man, that would be classic if they really did that. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

so apple needs to hype cool stuff so people will just like buy into apple on principle?

by the way, what's the new 'tar?

14. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

You have to admit, 20% of Mac users using OS X is alot better than the amount of Windows users using XP (which I think is somewhere around 5%).

15. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Sure, why not.........no thats not what I'm saying.

And what do you mean what's with the new tar? What's wrong with it?

16. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

its kinda hard to see what is going on. took me awhile to realize the first part. fly. mouth. mouth eats fly. then the part after that i cant tell what it is.

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I wonder how much of the stated 25 million mac computer out there can even run OSX. I would be surprised if it was much more then 5 million.

18. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Piracy. Piracy. Piracy. Support Apple as much as possible. :)

19. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

probably true from what i have seen. id say 5million osx machines is a huge success. just the fact that anyone would go out and pay for an os is pretty amazing when you think about it. most people just use whatever is on their computer when they buy it. the fact that boxed versions of osx sell so well it pretty impressive.

how many people do you know who run out and buy the new windows when ms releases a new version?

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Not only do I think that most OSX capable machines are using OSX already I also believe there are a large portion of non compatible machines that have been hacked to run it.

I personally know of a lot of people who have upgraded old beige 040 macs to G3s or G4s and installed OSX on them.

21. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Re: Making a Faster Transition from OS 9 to OS X. . .

You mean this isn't the way it's done now as a matter of practice? As far as I can remember there's always been an "upgrade" version of OS for Windows. Clear back to DOS.

22. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

OS X is slow on an iMac with 1GB of RAM. I don't think many of the older machines that can even run OS X could run it well.

I also believe many Mac users stay with their machines because it costs too much to replace them.

I'll have my iMac for a long time no matter how slow it gets because I paid $2300 for it. Oh what I'd give to be able to swap the motherboard with a 970. It's the price you pay for style over substance.

I think OS X's future, is with new machines and new sales. I think Apple will have to drop OS 9 support soon, regardless of how many existing users have not upgraded.

23. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

OSX might be slow in comparrison to OS9 on your iMac but when it comes to actual horsepower of games and watching movies your iMac has more spunk then most need, part of the iMac power and ability comes from OSX. Look to 10.3 and other system updates to show a significant system speed increase on machines such as yours. They're is still a lot of fat to be cut off of OSX and now that they have OSX to a stable form that is what they are concentrating on.

24. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Off Topic: Nice Avatar