Making a Mac Server

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by EJBasile, Apr 26, 2004.

1. macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Hey Everyone

I was wondering if I could make a file server with a PowerMac with out having to spend 499+ on Mac O/S X Server?

Thanks

2. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

What kind of clients are you going to serve? If its all XP and OS X, couldn't you just setup SMB mount points appropriately and share those?

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

The server will have to support both macs and PCs- i know nothing about this topic

4. macrumors 65816

tomf87

It also depends on the network services you wish to offer. You can always install the Developer Package and compile a DHCP server and things like that. Without OS X Server, you just have to get creative.

5. macrumors 68000

varmit

6. macrumors 65816

tomf87

SharePoint is a nice Samba admin tool, but doesn't help with other services.. Which reminds me, we still don't know what services he/she wants to offer...

7. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

For basic file sharing, Sharepoints will work. In fact I'm buying an old B&W for my server over the summer. Basically if you'll want non-admin Windows users to login (basically guests) you'll have to create a guest account (do it in Sharepoints because it can create homeless accounts) and give it read only access. Otherwise windows computers will have admin access to all your files. OSX client is the same as OSX server, only sever has nice GUI programs to edit server options while you'll have to do it manually in OSX client. Sharepoints does take away some of the burden.

8. macrumors 65816

tomf87

Well, if that's so, I'd sure like to know how to get vpnd to work. It seems Apple changed something in 10.3.

Also, I don't think OS X has Open Directory, Workgroup Management, Media Streaming, and NetBoot/NetInstall capabilities like OS X Server does.

9. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I interpreted this as he/she wanted to store files. So Sharepoint should do the trick.