Making a .mpg into a Video CD, how?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Dec 20, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have a .mpg movie that I want to make into a Video CD using Toast. I am using OS X 10.1.5. I have tried converting the .mpg to a .mov, or a .mp4 just so that Toast would read it and make it into a Video CD but they both ended up having NO SOUND. Also converting with QuickTime takes forever, but I found a program called "FFmpegX" from versiontracker.com and it is supposed to convert them, it does but when you drag the file to Toast is says this is not a type of file taht quicktime supports. All I want to do is convert a .mpg file into a Video CD with Sound... Help would be great! :D

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Making a .mpg into a Video CD, how?

hmm.. what format/rez/fps is the mpeg?

open in quick time and do a Get Info. Post results here.

arn

3. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Ok the file is on my Dad's G4 I'll do it in the morning, sorry but I need some sleep, heh

4. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hmm..... and when you set Toast to VideoCD and drag it onto the app - what happens?

arn

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

When I first received Quicktime Pro I had a similar problem. You need a program called bbDEMUX.

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=14618&db=mac

From there, you have to split the MPEG 1 file into separate audio and video files by opening the MPEG 1 into the program.

When the demuxing is finished, change the audio file (the demuxed audio file should end in .m1a) to end in .mp3. Using Quicktime Pro, combine the .m1v file with the .mp3 file and save that as a .mov file. (Encoding a 117MB file may take quite a while, so confirm you have video and audio before you export so you don't waste your time. Also, make sure you set a decent bitrate. :))

Troubleshooting: If you can't add the .mp3 file into the .m1v file, try saving the .m1v file as a .mov file just the way it is, and add the .mp3 to the .mov file.

If you can't copy the .mp3 file, open it in iTunes and export it at a decent bitrate. Then add it to your video.

From the new .mov file, proceed to Toast and make your Video CD.