making a playlist of relaxing songs to go to sleep

Discussion in 'iPod' started by gregjp48, May 26, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

When I'm trying to go to sleep I like to stick my ipod on shuffle.
    the problem is when I'm just about to fall asleep, my headphones scream Ride the Lightning by Metallica into my ears.
    I want to automatically make a playlist of soft music in my library.
    How would I do this? Should I buy "Tangerine!" ? Would the bpm matter, or what do all those softer acoustic songs etc. all have in common?
    Thanks a bunch :)

2. macrumors regular

You could use the comments field and smart playlists. Add "relaxing" or something like that to the comment fields of all of the songs you want. Then make a smart playlist that chooses the songs with the word "relaxing" in the comments field.

I do that with instrumental songs and it works quite well.

3. macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

What if the song files don't include "relaxing" are there any other ways for the smart playlist to reconize relaxing chilled out songs??

4. macrumors 68000

Go to iTunes, Ctrl+Click a song, select "Get Info", select "info", and then in the "comments field" put "relaxing" or "sleep" or something like that. It's all done by user preference.

5. macrumors G3

Try these podcasts:

Dave's Lounge
    The Chillcast

They talk a little bit, but one can still fall asleep.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

i wanted to have this done automatically, without going through all my music manually and selecting which ones are good for relaxation.
    I'd use tangerine, but I must have tried it before because my trial is expired, and I don't want to buy it until I know it works well for the purpose..

Anyone know of freeware bpm analyzers?

7. macrumors 65816

WillJS

In iTunes you could just find songs you want to listen to at night and add them to a playlist.