Making a Senior video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by blckout20, Jun 1, 2006.

1. blckout20 macrumors member

Alright everyone, I've been more or less designated into putting a video together for our high schools senior talent show and I would liek some all around advice as to what I should do and how I should go about doing it. I'm basically in charge of getting the video shot, editing it, putting music to it, and all that good stuff. I've never really done a project like this and am getting help from several other seniors in shooting the video but am really putting it together mostly by myself. What do you have for advice for me because really anything would be appreciated.

2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

so everyone is just preforming on stage their own talent?

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Maybe I misunderstood. Are you making a stand-alone video which is NOT covering the actual live performances, or are you to shoot the talent show? If it's a stand-alone video, then
    Just some random, quick ideas.....
    How long will your piece be?
    Decide on your Theme.
    Assign your shoot team to shoot each graduate (sound bites along theme, or personal farewell remark)
    Humor is a must
    Tap video library for the whole year of highlights (sports, banquets, dramas, concerts)
    Set deadline for all video to be shot.
    Perhaps interject some familiar movie trailer edits?
    Avoid corny, overused soundtrack(s)
    What will you use for shooting? Editing? Showing? One screen or multiple?

4. blckout20 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry I wasn't very descriptive. We are having a senior talent show as it is the end of the year. I am a senior. I won't be taping the show, I will be making a video that will play on a projector at the end of the talent show either as people leave or as someone is singing or something like that so I'm not sure If i will have to put it to music or not.

Length isn't the biggest concern, I've been getting help from the kid who did it last year and it was like like 2 minutes maybe and looping but the length can be as long as I want. I'd rather have it be longer than too short and just keep looping you know what I mean. I think I'm going to walk around school just shooting clips of seniors being seniors doing whatever they want and waving goodbye to the camera. Its hard to describe but you might be able to get the idea now, I know I wasn't clear originally. I will most likely be editing it in Imovie.

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

My 2¢ but I think you're on the right track with featuring the students' faces. It's all about them and I think you'll be delighted with what happens with spontaneous shots of them in their environment. Good luck.

6. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

Here's some advice:
    Make sure everyone is included equally. In my senior video this year there was a lot of the same people, but hardly of most others. And we have a large class that's been collecting footage for a long time.
    Also, if there was some big event that happened this year such as a sports team winning some sort of championship, then include it, but only once.

And good luck!

7. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Mix it up with pictures and video. We were not that lucky to have lots of video but the pictures were really good. Break up the video into the 4 years with a set of pictures for every year.

I did not do them this year because I was more into print design my high school years.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Baby pictures (then and now) can be fun, but not every class has the same enthusiasm about that. Naturally, the parents would think it's great.

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Dont turn the video into a popularity contest as so many HS things end up being.

10. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Well I understand, try and get video of random things. Ask the Radio Telivison Class for some footage of a homecomoing or prom or somthing. And then youll be surprised what you can do if you just sit the camera in front of people and watch what they do. It can be surprising. :D Edit some nice music and it will be fun to watch :)

11. blckout20 thread starter macrumors member

I've got good news...I've been given an extra week to shoot the video and most of my teachers have let me basically do as I please in school to get this video done so with the support of the faculty things have become much easier. I have a good amount of footage but will continue to film daily just because too much footage to use is not a bad thing. I now however need help putting a soundtrack to it so if anyone has advice for songs to put it to that would be great.

12. jaysmith macrumors regular

putting together then year end video was the better part of my senior years, and i had great fun with it. it was easier for us because we had a team of maybe 5 people who worked on shooting video of every major event, so we had all the footage at our disposal, and it was all pretty good quality (not just handing someone random a camera during a soccer game). we also took photos of all the events, and took photos throughout the year of everyday school life and faces. to start we came up with a theme for the titles and intro, then as each event was covered, it would be edited as soon as possible. then when we got closer to the end of the year, most of the work was done and we just threw in the last few events (even a talent show that happened that same week it was presented).

if you're in need of some ideas, for our intro we had a camera on a wheeled tripod and ran around the hallsof the school for awhile, and people in the halls would look and wave as we passed. it started at the front entrance and ended going out the same doors (i guess symbolizing the high school career in ways). had the opening credits come up during it and sped up the footage to fill however long of a space we had. set it to some sappy music, i believe it was U2's "with or without you". feel free to modify or build on this idea if you wish.

as far as music choices, pick songs that aren't gimmicky or corny. and keep in mind, if you choose songs that you like a lot, you'll likely end up hating them after editing and hearing them 238942789472 times. just pick a few songs that match the content but fit around a central theme.