Making a song an audiobook?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by JimmyB248, Nov 20, 2006.

1. JimmyB248 macrumors regular

Hey got a quick question. I've got a few audio files that I'd like to be able to class as Audiobooks in iTunes and on my iPod, because, well that's what they are. Is there any way to do this?

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I've found two programs that can do it.

One is iTunes MP3 Joiner found on Doug's Scripts website. There are instructions on how to add chapter artwork, etc.

The second, and my recommended app, is Audiobook Builder. It costs $10, but worth it for the features.

3. Mustafa macrumors regular

Highlight the track in your iTunes Library, press Cmd-I (for Get Info), hit the Options tab and tick the 'Remember playback position' box. That's it.

if you want to, you can hit the Info tab and change the Genre to Books & Spoken, or any other category that you like.

You can do all the tracks simultaneously if you wish by highlighting them all using the Cmd key, then Cmd-I and ticking the Remember Position box, etc.

4. JimmyB248 thread starter macrumors regular

Only problem with that solution Mustafa is that I need to be able to play back the audio at different speeds which I am pretty sure you can do with audio books in iTunes and on the iPod?

5. Mustafa macrumors regular

Don't know about that -- isn't that an iPod feature rather than an iTunes one?

Have you tried just changing the file extension in Get Info?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This (sometimes) works on Windows, but I've never had it work on OS X.

If you are handy with a hex editor, you can easily rename the file and also change the ftyp atom in the file from "m4a " to "m4b "...

Another handy utility is "Join Together" from Doug's Scripts which can take a number of M4A files and return a single M4B, which may be what spicyapple was mentioning.

B

7. JimmyB248 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I thought, I will be playing it off my iPod at a lower speed anyway. Thanks for the help I'll give this a try when I get home.