Making a straight DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gic2k3, Jan 3, 2006.

1. gic2k3 macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2006
    Can anybody help me???

How do you make a straight DVD in FCP without menues...
    Doesn't want to go through IDVD or DVD Studio Pro

But also doesn't want to loose any quality...

Is it possible???

I have captured some VHS to FCP, No editing necessary.
    Just want to make a DVD which will play in a DVD player

Regards Haribo
  2. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    FCP is a video editor, not a DVD creation app. You will have to use at least iDVD (or similar program) to create the DVD. If you use iDVD just export the movie as DV and then import into iDVD. Choose a simple menu and hit burn. If you go the DVD Studio Pro route, export as MPEG-2 and import in. Create your menu and burn.
  3. gic2k3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2006
    But then I will get a menu, I would like to just have the movie...

Can I export from FCP and the burn it in Toast???

But still get a quality clip??
  4. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    As far as I know, there really is no way around the menu. Even toast will create a basic menu. I am 90% sure that you can set a first-play option in iDVD. What that would allow you to do is set the movie as the first thing played when you insert a disc (instead of the menu). I know that you can do that in DVD Studio Pro, and I don't know about Toast.
  5. robx2 macrumors member

May 27, 2005
    If you have DVD Studio Pro, you can just put it in as a track and make that "First Play". Not sure if you can do something similar with iDVD.
  6. gic2k3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2006
  7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    What about the "onestep DVD" feature in iDVD? You record directly into iDVD and it spits out a DVD that auto-plays.

8. supersize macrumors member

Nov 2, 2004
    I know that I have done this with toast 7, I'm not at my Mac now but I think you can just import an mpg or avi into toast and burn it to dvd and it will play automatically, no menus. I hope this helps.
  9. kwajaln macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2004
    I am not familiar with the "One Step" term in iDVD, however I am certain that you can accomplish most of your goal using that app. Once your footage is in iDVD, click on the MAP icon, just to the right of center near the bottom. Then you simply drag and drop your footage into the tab that says "Drag content here to automatically play when the disc is inserted" Now you will have to go through the motions of actually selecting a menu, although I am not sure if there is a loop setting that can bypass the menu. I think a better way would be Toast 7, if you have it. I know there is an auto-play AND a play all continuously option using Toast 7 'cause I just used this to burn a slideshow DVD a few days ago. See pic . . .
    EDIT: Great post Supersize!!

Attached Files:

10. gic2k3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2006
    Thx for all the answers..

It works in dvd studio pro....

Haven't tried in toast yet...
  11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Yes using the OneStep option in iDVD will give you just the movie with no menus. I've done it myself after pulling video from my camcorder. Video just starts playing automatically after you insert the disc into a DVD player.
  12. gic2k3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2006
    Are there a difference in the quality of the final DVD...

When encoding in IDVD instead of DVD Studio Pro
  13. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

Mar 7, 2005
    only with dv cam

This will only work using a dv cam that the computer can control.