Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Hello,

I am making a yearbook for my school. There are other people working on it, but I'm doing all the computer work as I have a mac at home and the school uses macs.

I am using Adobe PageMaker 7.0 in Classic (I have an eMac 1.25Ghz Mac OS X, 512MB of RAM).

I have included a screen shot from PageMaker on what one of the 'Profile' pages is going to look like. I however, feel it is very bland and I want to make it look a little nicer.

I had an idea to apply a 'curved/rounded' edges effect to the images. Do you know of any Freeware/Shareware programs that can do this? PageMaker has a rounded corners features installed, but when I click on the image and apply the effect - nothing happens - however it happens when I create an object, like say, a rectangle.

Do any of you have any other ideas? I am completely new to PageMaker, I have never used it before and I'm finding it a little complex.

Thanks.

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
1. Change the font (unless that one looks nice when the page is printed?) because it looks a little rough, i.e. not very smooth edges.

2. How about using a different program? This may seem too easy, but a yearbook could be made in something as simple as AppleWorks.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
The font is Comic Sans MS. I can't use another program as the documents have to be sent to the printers, and they have be made using PageMaker!

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
Yearbook help

You are doing the yearbook by yourself!?!?! Ouch. I was editor of my high school yearbook, and I could not have done it without the help of the other 12 staff members. Even though we used sad old Windows machines, we did use PageMaker. It is a great software package for yearbook preparation, although a few additional features would make it awesome. If I remember correctly, you have to specify the radius of curvature for the rounded corner. Have you tried increasing this value? It might be the case that the radius is so small that unless you zoom way in you will not be able to see the rounded corners. If this is not the problem, the only other program I have personally used is Photoshop, which allows you to accomplish the same thing...maybe your school has a copy of that? I have never seen any shareware/freeware programs that allow you to round the corners. Good luck with the pics, and good luck with the rest of the book!

Josh

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
When you click the rounded option a diologue comes up which allows you to select one of 6 various pictures of rounded corners, each one varies. I have tried the most severe curved option and it does not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.