Making Avid work like FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cwright, Feb 12, 2007.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

first quick question:

How do I turn on Segment mode in Avid? I want to be able to drag clips around in the timeline like I'm used to in FCP. I think I want Segment mode, but I cant find it!

2. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

next question...

when I drag a video clip to the timeline, it doesnt link the video and audio together. I want to be able to trim them both simultaneously. How can I link them?

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Trying to make Avid work like Final Cut (or Final Cut work like Avid) is a recipe for a slow, miserable editing experience. I strongly suggest learning Avid by pretending you've never used another NLE before. Come at it w/a clean slate and learn how to do things "the Avid way" 'cause, in Avid land, that's the only way.

Lethal

4. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

There are two arrow thingies to the bottom left of the timeline window that will do the job.
    The red one slides clips over the timeline but can obliterate clips that you may end up parked on. The yellow arrow swaps the order of those clips (careful not to split clips in two).

Control or option will have different effects on these tools.

To link audio and video together you'll need to use shift and click on on each of them in turn. this function behaves as a multi clip mover, independent say of audio, video, or whatever.