Making CDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cmaracz88, Apr 24, 2005.

1. cmaracz88 macrumors member

I haven't really liked CD tehcnology for a long time. Greatly prefering to have MP3 and MD players. I really like the tehcnology though that allows you take encrypt your music to very small sizes and organizing playlists on a CD, through this you can have several albums on one CD which you carry with you. I think Sony started using this, but what I'm considering is this CD and personal speaker base for $100 CND from either Panasonic or Koss or Phillips or soemthing. I'm pretty sure it has this tehcnology, yet, I'm wodnering, can youmake CDs like this with songs gotten from iTunes? I'm pretty sure iTunes doesn't do this, since Apple markets the iPod as the thing to use to keep your library on you. However, perhaps iTunes music store songs can be used in other burnign programs that do, although I doubt it. Anyone know for sure?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

1) Create a Playlist of the songs you want
    2) Insert blank CD-R
    3) hit Burn.

That's it

Edit: I burned an audio CD of "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" that I purchased from iTMS while I typed this response.

3. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

1. Is that particular colelction specially low-spaced so it'll fit on a single cd or can you usually fit that many iTunes songs on one?

2. How do you make the album selections like on atomic in your palcelist?

3. Would the album groupings work on sony and other cd players, or just their own software for this feature, if you knwo.

Thanks.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

1. If you are burning an audio CD, then you can fit 60 - 70 minutes of music on the CD, no more, just like a purchased CD.

If you want 100 songs, you're going to have to export your songs as MP3's by selecting "MP3 CD" iTunes Burning Preferences instead of "Audio CD". The compatibility with your CD player will depend on the player - it has to be specifically capable of decoding MP3 files.

2. Um.. you highlight them in the iTunes library window and drag them to the playlist. If you want a particular album (like U2's HTDAAB) then you just sort by Album by clicking on the Album header, then select the tracks from that album together by clicking on the first track and shift-clicking on the last.

3. See answer 1. If it's an audio CD, it's an audio CD. If it's an MP3 CD, you're on your own with your particular MP3-CD player's features.

cmaracz88, it seems like you've never actually used iTunes, am I correct?
    Take a browse around iTunes and look at the Help files. If you still have a Windows machine, it's a free download. All will become clear.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Just for your information, the word is 'encode' not 'encrypt' :) (yeah, they sound similar)

Anyway, the steps that Ram gave you will make a regular audio CD, just like the ones you buy in a shop. Just make sure that Audio CD is specified in the iTunes prefs.

Attached Files:

6. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thansk for your help. but I'm jsut not sure you guys udnerstand what I mena. I don't mean how to make a cd mp3 or not, I'm well aware of creating a standard cd. What I'm trying to figuare out is if you can duplicate the cool "organzie playlists" within a cd like Sony and Phillips etc. have. Makign a regular cd playlsit grouped by album wouldnt do that. Putting the CD in a player would simply make the entire CD run back to front I'm pretty sure no? I'm taking about organizing playlsits within a cd, so that for instance you can select just to play all the songs of one artist or just one album even though you have 10 mp3 albums on one cd. Like "the complete u2" is organized I believe.

(Doing the click on first track shift-clicking on last in album view doesn't seem to do anything. It just seems to select the album not really make a subheading for it.)

7. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

So you want to put multiple playlists onto a disk, so when you put the disk in with iTunes, it shows up those playlists instead of the CD. I don't believe iTunes has that feature, sorry.

8. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

Semi. Jeeze, I'm surprised nobody has really seen these features. They're even on older CD players now, i think a mid-range cd player from two eyars ago would have it. There are playlsits within the CD. Or, playlists within playlsits as I'm sure would be the case if iTuines supported this. I'm fairly sure this came out with Sony's ultra compact encoding (thanks for the word) tech about two years ago, but don't quote me on that. My delime is jsut wether I could do that with iTunes purhcased songs through another software proggie maybe, since that's what i'm interested in.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ok, like I can't make head nor tail of your description.

Are you saying that the Sony (or Pioneer or Koss) player plays MP3's from a CD, and additionally has data with the MP3's that allow the player to pick and choose from multiple albums on the MP3 CD?

Question - how would these players normally get the MP3 data burned on CD in order to do this? Do they come with their own software? What exactly are these players requiring in the way of data?

If they are using their own encoding scheme, then the answer is, you gotta use the software that comes with the player.

The solution from iTMS purchased songs would be, burn an Audio CD, then re-rip them in the Sony program from the audio CD.

Really hard to answer your query in the absence of any information.

10. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

I was hoping you guys would understand, but I guess I should have been more specific.

The answer is yes, the data is seperated into seperate playlists on one CD, which do not relate with each other, kind of like the playlists on your iPod. And as far as I have seen in electronicsis stores, it's difficult to find a Cd player without the tech as long as it has a screen with more than a few lines on it. Sony I know partners this with it's high-encoding software, and I believe the playlist seperation happens when creating the CD, and not as an act of the player. Now almost all CD manufacteurors offer this, and I'm sure you don't have to use the encoding software for it either. However I'm not sure if there is a program out there tha can burn a CD like this and deal with iTunes encoded songs as well, which are protected, and won't open in many music proggies. That's what I'm asking. I can't get any more detailed than that or I'd be answering my own question, which I can't. I think it's something that you'd just have to know from experience, which I'm hoping someone here has in this particular act.

11. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

Have any of you used the new Sonicstage? It has that feature, basically seperating things on the CD into things like Pop>The Mars Volta> Deloused In The Comatorium so you can lsiten to ust that album for instance. Is it possible to burn iTunes songs through Sonic Stage?

12. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Are you perhaps referring to the program feature that many CD players have? With those it's not the CD itself that has data creating a playlist, but the CD player. Most CD players let you program in which order you want to play the tracks on a CD. Is this what you mean?

13. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

Well, yes, and no. Soem players let you set the order, this is mroe of a directory path feature. It works simular to your iPod in terms of how you begin to play music. You could be right, it could be on the player, but my friend who has Sony CD player with this function said it's the Sonicstage program where you create these directories. And, while I wasn't able to brun a CD, I know that Windows Media player has this create folders thing when choosing a songset for a CD to be burned.

Either way, somebody has to know whether you can use iTunes pruchased songs in Windows Media Player or Sonicstage, whether or not you're familiar with the aforementioned tech.

14. mms macrumors 6502a

SonicStage: http://www.vaio.net/sonyvaio659.html
    From what I understand it's an app from Sony that organizes music just like iTunes.

No. Songs from iTMS are in AAC format and protected with a DRM so that you can only play them in iTunes or on an iPod. Neither Windows Media or Sonicstage (I'm making the assumption because it's software by Sony) plays AAC.

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Perhaps you're looking for an mp3 CD? Where you burn the actual mp3s to the CD, and don't burn an audio CD? Then I'm pretty sure you can create folders and all that. Some CD players can play them. I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I'm pretty sure iTunes can burn them. But I've never had any experience with mp3 CDs, so...

Correct me if I'm wrong or if this won't accomplish exactly what you're after.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, does anyone know if burning the mp3s to a CD through the Finder (in folders) play on a mp3 CD player? If so, would the player then recognise these folders as playlists? I think Macaddicttt is onto something but I reckon the Finder might be the way rather than iTunes. I could be wrong though, I've never tried either.