Making "Computer" a desktop icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Iranian, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Iranian macrumors newbie

Hi I wanted to ask if it is possible to turn the "Computer" directory into an icon on the desktop (or a shortcut). By "Computer" I mean when you press command+shift+C, the window you get, I want that as an icon or shortcut on the desktop.

Is this possible?

Thank you in advance.:)

2. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Open that window, go the the tiny computer icon at the top of the finder window, and while holding Option + Command, drag it to the desktop. Now you have an alias on the desktop to "Computer".

EDIT: Hmm... sorry, I tried my suggestion completely, and it did not work.

3. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

lol

There's gotta be a way:confused:

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The Mac is not a PC. The window, sidebar and the dock are the customisable starting points for navigation; the desktop is clumsy IMO because you always have windows in the way, regardless of Expose. I don't even have any drives showing on my work Mac's desktop... it's completely blank.

5. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, well each time I want to connect to a network (not internet, files) I have to go to that menu and about 4 submenus to finally connect to the network, because that menu (Computer) is the only place the Network icon exists, and I cant move it anywhere. Is there a faster way to do this?

What I really want to do is make the Network icon appear in the finder sidebar, below the harddrives.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

When you're in Finder:

Menu: Finder>Preferences>Sidebar

:)

7. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

To answer the original question:

Open the Computer window (Command-Shift-C), then press Command-I. Select the icon in the Get Info window and copy it. Then select the file/folder you want that icon on, open get info window and paste the icon you previously copied :)