Making display sleep, but not the computer

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Guitarius, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I have my iBook set to go to sleep after a few minutes of not being used. I did this mainly to save the display from burning out too soon. I was wondering if there was a way that I could set the display to turn off, but not put the whole computer to sleep.

I bet you are all asking why, which I will now explain. I need to stay connected to the internet all the time, for reasons such as my brother (who is deathly afraid of telephones) can IM me when he needs something.

If there is a way to do this, would this in anyway be bad for the computer?

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Isn't there an option under Engery Saver (In System Preferences) to where you could put the Display to sleep after a certain amount of minutes?

3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Yeah, there is. Just set that to turn off the display after 10 minutes of idle or something.

4. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

why yes there is, you can set the display to sleep and set the computer to go to sleep never unless you manually put it to sleep. under energy saver in sys pref :)

5. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Right on. Thanks a bunch.

You know. Just when you thnink you've looked at everything, the one thing you haven't tried is the thing that'll work. I'm sorry. Even after 10 months after I switched, I haven't figured out that the easiest thing is most often the right thing to do. :)

Anyway, thanks again.

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all