Making DVD screen captures on iMac Intel

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 23skidoo, Dec 1, 2006.

1. 23skidoo macrumors newbie

Nov 30, 2006

I'm relatively new to the world of Mac after spending 5 years on PC. (I was a Mac man before that, but I might as well say I'm a newbie at this point).

I just got myself an iMac Intel Duo and it's a great machine but I am disappointed in the lack of a few features.

From a Google search it appears that Apple is now in Hollywood's back pocket and has disabled any of its on-board software from making screen captures from DVDs. So is there a third-party software -- that works under Intel -- that will do this? I actually have good reason for making screen captures.

I'm going to be installing Bootcamp and adding an XP partition in the near future. Can I get around this problem by simply installing an XP program like PowerDVD that does offer screen capture capability, or is DVD screen capturing disabled across the board?

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    can't you just play the video full-screen and take a screenshot of the screen?

see your system preferences for all the shortcuts for screenshots. The basic one is apple-shift-3 to take a picture of the screen (thoguh I changed my shortcut for this to F3 - much more convenient!)
  3. swiftaw macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Play the DVD using VLC rather than DVD player
  4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    you cant take a screenshot (command-shift-3) when the DVD player is open.

last i checked.

go grab snapngrab

it lets you take a shot of the screen, or the window the DVD is playing in.
  5. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Listen to swiftaw. This is the best and cheapest way to do it. :)