Making DVDs from .avi files

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by goodtimes5, Feb 20, 2005.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

edited.

How do I go about burning .avi files onto a DVD that can be played in a DVD player? I want a DVD menu where I can pick which episode to play.

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Thank you for making this thread ;)

by the way....Cant wait for tomorrow night!!! :D

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

well you convert them to something iDVD can read, then just make a simple dvd with choices for episodes, and do that a few times to make multiple dvd's. as far as converting goes i have no idea :p

4. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Me too...

Well first you have to compress/convert the file... before importing into a dvd program (at least I do...)

Right now I capture in straight DV or MPEG 4, edit out the commercials of course, (I use Final Cut Pro), Toss it into Compressor to MPEG-1 or MPEG-2, Import the "Asset" into DVD Studio Pro, do my thing in there (Menu's-Scene Selection-Play) and build and burn...

Hope this somehow helps, any questions regarding this post feel free to ask.

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Drop the avi's into Toast, although you can probably only burn 1 episode per DVD disc, which seems like a waste. Toast will convert the avi to DV before re-compressing again to mpeg2. I haven't tried it, but audio-sync might drift. Some DVD players can play avi and wmv video in either ISO9660 or UDF format, but since most avi's are now Divx-codec based, not all DVD players can decode this format.

6. rohanputter macrumors newbie

mod note: please do not promote software piracy here.

A lot of DVD players play MPEG4, or DIVX discs... This is an option to pursue, though I am not very familiar with it.

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

This thread still lives because it contains general info about the process of creating DVD's.

Please do not use references to illegal activities.

We all know it happens, but MacRumors.com does not condone the illegal downloading of any form of media or software.

8. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I tried doing that and as you said, I could only fit 1 per dvd. I can't afford to burn 24 DVDs :p

9. applekid macrumors 68020

There's that Philips DVD player that was Amazon.com that sold well and is cheap that can play an assortment of video files. Try using that.

10. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I was wondering if there was a way to do it other than having to buy new hardware :p

11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

killuminati, e-mail me and I can give you a link to help out. I had to convert some video of Niagara Falls and some other stuff for my family and at the moment I don't have the link in front of me.

12. Riot_Mac macrumors regular

use divx a to mov (divx doctor?) coverter and then import the mov's into idvd.
    i cant remember the exact name of the avi to mov coverter right now and i am not at home.

also i own the philps dvp642 that plays avi's and it kicks ass.

13. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I was wondering if when you got home you could find that for me. I would really appreciate it.

14. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I'll be waiting for that crucial information. That's the missing link right now.

15. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I just used divx doctor 2 and it converted them to mov's really quickly. It took about 1 minute for a 350 mb file. Now I just need to burn them in iDVD.

16. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Ohoh, I put the videos into iDVD and found out I can only burn 2 episodes per disc! Is there any other way?