Making Earbuds Fit Better

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Guitarius, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Okay, this may sound a little weird, but bear with me. I have rather big ears, and my stock earbuds that came with my iPod are constantly falling out. I was wondering if you guys had any little tricks that could help them stay in, and even make them a little more comfortable.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Yeah, I thought about it. But I'm kinda a cheap bastard. Think I should just break down and buy some?

I have my big studio monitors that I listen to at home, but I need some little ones to bring around with me, and those always did the job.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Lots of people here recommend the Shure range of earbuds. These plug straight into the ear-canal rather than sitting just outside it... and because of that, they also block ambient sound from outside a lot better than the standard earbuds.

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

...but starting at $100, they're not exactly made for cheap bastards.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

True. But taking an expensive iPod and plugging $20 earbuds into it seems a little odd to me... what's your suggestion?

7. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

You make a good point, sir.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Buy a tight beanie, long enough to cover your ears and wear at all times when listening to your iPod... easier to remove than Scotch Tape... :D

Edit: I'm VERY happy with my cheap but extreamly good Koss SportaPro headphones, ditched the in-ear-buds without taking off the plastic bag... ;)

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's madam to you. ;)

10. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

A thousand pardons. That's just my southern misogyny talking. Don't listen.

11. Gadolie macrumors newbie

I to hate earbuds. They are so impratical IMO.
    I too dreamed of getting a set of Shure in-ear phones. However, being cheap has nothing to do with it. Even their base units are to darn expensive period.
    So I looked around. Went to Circuit City and found a pair that was just right. No, not Shure, (you can only get them online) but Sony. I'm sorry that I don't have the Model number, but they cost $40.00. They fit nice, block out all other sounds, great separation, good bass and treble and come with extra removable rubber ear fittings. Best of all, they're Mac white with chrome accents. Very sharp indeed! :D

12. Bear macrumors G3

Try a pair of "The Plug" by Koss - they run about $20 and are better than anything else under a $100.

13. nerdykarim macrumors member

"the plug" is pretty good-i have two sets of them that i'm planning on modding (as per this website: http://www.headwize.com/projects/cmoy4_prj.htm) with some earplugs and maybe with some er-4p pieces (like the guy on ebay is selling)
    PS: even without the modding, these are above average. i wear them when i walk around outside since it's just too weird not being able to hear anything at all when i wear the shure's outside.

second, if you look for a good deal, you can get the shure e2c at a pretty good price. i paid $50 shipped for mine (i bought 'em from dell--there was a 50% off dell dj accessories coupon) i love my set of e2cs...if you, like me, had never tried any of the higher-end (shure, etymotic research) earbuds, the e2c experience is well worth fifty dollars.

my .02

edit: these are also supposed to be very good for the value (sennheiser px100):
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...31096-1933560?v=glance&s=electronics&n=502394

14. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Sorry, i didn't mean to void your point. Just saying that a pair of earbuds for $100 seems kind of expensive for someone who considers themself a cheap bastard... and I am in not way calling you that Guitarius, just quoting you.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Sony in-ear headphones are good, and they have a variety of price ranges too, so you can pick the price point that works the best for you

16. Bear macrumors G3

Just because something costs more than something else it doesn't mean it's better.

Also, what fits each persons ears is different. And the type of music that a person listens to can affect the headphone choice as well.

In general The Plug by Koss is you best bang for the buck. Why pay morre than you have to.

And true, sometimes you do get more when you pay more, it just isn't always true.

17. nerdykarim macrumors member

i'd agree...the plug isn't too shabby at all--especially given the cost. you'll find that its sort of difficult to put in your ear if you're holding something in one of your hands (its much easier to put in with two hands) because you need to roll the ear bud and lift the top of your ear to insert it.

i'd maybe try doing that with your apple 'buds. try lifting the top of your ear with one hand and pushing the earbud as far as it'll go with the other hand.

if you're not willing to spend 50 on a pair of shure e2c's (the price drops to 65-70 very often and you can get 'em for 50 if you're patient...just check a deals website like www.slickdeals.net), and you don't want an over-the-ear set like the sennheiser px100, i'd go with the plug.

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

true i agree, the good thing about the in-ear headphones from Shure and Sony is that they come with three different size plugs, that way they fit better

my personal experience with headphones though are that the brand does matter and you do tend to get what you pay for, Sony and Shure are the best imho, ive had a few pairs from Koss and didnt like them, but hey i am a Sound snob at times

19. Bear macrumors G3

Sony headphones are kinda blah to me. As for Koss, "The Plug" is the only thing I can recommend.

Then again, the pair of stereo headphones I have (1/4" plug and all) is a $250ish pair.

I have a speaker test CD that I made that will fail almost any sound system. The point of it is to see where the weaknesses are in the sytsem and if they will bother me.

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

to each their own really, everyone has sound preferences, so if those work for you then awesome, i cant use a pair of apple headphones or a cheap 20 dollar pair myself, at least not since i got my pair of in-ear headphones, the bass and sound quality is so much better, i cant even use regular headphones or stero headphones, unless they are a really really good pair because the quality just isnt there for me

21. nerdykarim macrumors member

check out the etymotic research buds, too. the er-4p is (arguably) better than the e5c. but that's way out of my league.
    the plugs really aren't bad. especially given their price.

22. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Just pick up headphones, not earbuds. You can get a decent pair of sony's for like $10.

23. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

24. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I guess that would be more sanitary that letting the ear wax build up.