Making Enemies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Jul 28, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This piece by Michael Hirsch is quite depressing. He details all the things that have been known in bits and pieces and really paints a bleak picture of the GWOT.

I'll post portions of it here, but the entire thing is well worth your time to read.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Quite depressing? It's a disaster for us all. Amateurs!:mad:

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This is what you have when you conflate a justifiable response to al Qaeda with the grand ambitions for building a new American empire of the neo-conservatives. We are all witnessing the nightmare this attempt to remake the Middle East through force of arms truly is. The US and the western world will be paying for this huge mistake for a generation or more. And that does not even begin to deal with the horrible consequences to the people of the region. Could we count all those Florida ballots in the 2000 election now, please?

Great article, mac.

4. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Wasn't Nixon who said 'When you got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow' of course it didn't work for him either.

Is this history repeating itself in a broad sense?

5. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Isn't that the Bush doctrine? I keep hoping that we can make it to November xx, 2008 before Bush destroyes the world. :cool:

6. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

It is not the "Bush doctrine", it is the political doctrine. Loyalty is always rewarded, regardless of administration.

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Unfortunately, we have to make it to January 20, 2009 before he is replaced. Unless, of course, he wants to call off the election. :eek: <I hope that possibility is as crazy as it sounds.>

8. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Unfortunately, those of you who are hoping that a new administration will change things will be disappointed. Mmmmmmmm, smell the cynicism!

9. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

"The U.S. Federal Government is nothing but a pyramid scheme. Own the man at the top of the pyramid and all the others below are under your control." - rota

Link

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not entirely true. Lincoln surrounded himself with enemies in the White House to gain perspective. He admired opposing viewpoints when they were well thought out. Of course, someone shot him in the back of the head... so I guess that doesn't work so well.

11. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Loyalty yes. I think what is so striking about this administration is their willingness to reward rank incompetence with praise and/or promotion.

12. Queso macrumors G4

I said all of that in 2003 before the invasion, just like millions of us across the world with grey matter between our ears said, yet nobody f**king listened!! No, because if you were clever enough to work out the most likely consequences it meant "You love terrorists!!! Four more years!! Four more years!!" :mad:

I hate Bliar and I hate Bush. I hope they both rot in hell along with every neo-con warmongering scumbag who walks the planet.

</rant>