Making German umlauts with U.S. Keyboard (keyboard shortcuts)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Seanosaurus, Dec 19, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Seanosaurus

Hello all!

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this, but does anyone have experience with creating keyboard shortcuts? I would like to edit my o , u , and a keys to create ö , ü , and ä (alt + u = ü, alt + o = ö, etc...) Is this possible? It's a bit annoying switching between the different keyboards when I would like to make an umlaut. :p

2. Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

You can use Ukelele to create custom keyboard layouts. I've made just what you want a few years ago for myself. I've attached the file. Put it in /Users/your username/Library/Keyboard Layouts/

Attached Files:

3. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can use Option-u followed by the letter, eg. Option-u followed by o returns ö. This may or may not be acceptable depending on how often you type them :)

4. macrumors 603

OutThere

This has always worked fine for me with all of the standard French accents writing quite extensively in French.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Seanosaurus

Is that it? Just put it in the directory and restart/reboot? I did that and I'm having no luck. >_<

6. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I haven't tried it, but presumably you need to select it as the active keyboard in the Language & Text preference pane.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Seanosaurus

Got it done, thanks for the help everyone. :)