Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
Is there a way to make iTunes delete the podcast file (audio or video) after I have listened or viewed it?

I know i can go to settings in podcasts and adjust how many episodes to keep, but if I am unable to listen/view the podcast for a few days, it may exceeed the minimum. I want to keep the unplayed podcasts and delete them from my library once they have been played.

Any ideas?

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
That would be okay, except when using large podcasts (HD) they take up tons of space. Which is what I am trying to prevent.

thanks for the suggestion though.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Just set itunes to "keep all unplayed episodes".

This should do exactly what you want, it will keep everything until you listen to each one.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
@ milo

That is how I have it set now, and it keeps several podcasts in the library.

That's odd. Is the playcount for those podcasts showing 1 or higher? It doesn't consider a podcast played if you stop before the end.

Also right click those podcasts and make sure they aren't set to be kept, iTunes allows different podcasts and episodes to have settings that exempt them from automatic deletion.

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
That's it. I always stop before the end. I rarely let it run until finished. Usually when I hear the closing music, I am on to another podcast.

thanks!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Glad that fixed it. I usually fast forward through the junk at the end instead of just skipping for this reason.

Empgamer

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
Wales, UK
Where do I find this setting for 'keep unplayed episodes'? My iTunes is still keeping stuff with a 1 playcount. Bit frustrating having to manually manage as I have so many.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Where do I find this setting for 'keep unplayed episodes'? My iTunes is still keeping stuff with a 1 playcount. Bit frustrating having to manually manage as I have so many.

Click on Podcasts, then on the preference pane at the bottom left side of the iTunes window.

Z1NX

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Okay, so I had already discovered the Settings to change it to 'All Unplayed Tracks'. This unfortunately hasn't worked for me.

The podcast file is still staying on my hard drive, and yes, I have played it through until the very end. Any tips please? Cheers guys.

Dozerrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Exeter
Weird, I actually searched google with the same problem and found this thread a few days ago.

As someone else said, settings, but you can also right click the podcast I think and select delete after listening, or something like that.

loganck

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
Austin, Texas
I listen to podcasts on my ipod mostly. How do I make itunes recognize that the podcasts have been listened to? After every sync it shows all podcasts as new, even the ones I've already listened to on my ipod.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I've never gotten the automated stuff to work right. I just have the "play count" column viewable in iTunes, and manually delete ones I've listened to. It's workable for me. (And actually sort of good since sometimes I want to keep a podcast.)

januario

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2009
Figured out how to delete podcasts automatically

I was having this same problem and I finally figured it out.

Highlight the podcast, or podcasts you want iTunes to Autodelete. Right click and select "Allow Auto Delete".

FINALLY

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.