Making leap from OS 9.1 to OS 10

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Oxford, May 15, 2006.

1. Oxford macrumors newbie

May 15, 2006
    San Diego
    Hello, first post here...:)

I have been plowing out a living as a graphic designer for many years on my old G3 with OS 9.1 on it. Everything works fine (with a few crashes here and there) but we kinda know each other and get the jobs done.;)

My question: I figured it might be a good time to snag the new Intel Mac (waiting for tower in August) and upgrade to the new OS X for extra speed and stability.

I am a graphic designer (web too) and will be using QuarkXpress (may look at inDesign) Photoshop and Illustrator primarily. My only experience with OS X is shoving a mouse around at CompUSA for a bit. It looks cool but don't have a clue how stable it is and what I will run into in a real-world, graphic artist work flow.

So do you have any advice or suggestions regarding problems and benefits of moving to the new Hardware and upgrading from OS X? Is life MUCH better in the land of 10?

Thanks much
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Welcome to MR.

We moved our studio to 10.3 about 2 years ago. No regrets at all.

Quark 6.5 runs fine (well as fine as Quark does) on Tiger (10.4). So does Creative Suite and a number of other design-related apps... Suitcase etc. although Retrospect needs an updater and some RIPs or ISDN software may not be compatible without updaters as well.

The main advantage: if Quark or Illustrator crash — which given time they will — they will not take down your entire system with any unsaved files.

Fonts are managed in a completely different way and networking is a little more complex than in the old free and easy days where you could virtually mount which ever drive you wanted.
  3. zv470 macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2004
    New Zealand
    Welcome to the 21st Century. :p ;)

Sorry I had to 'ave a dig. :D

...but seriously... I think it's easy to forget that people once created stunning graphics on hardware far slower than today's computers. Sometimes it's hard to imagine how people could do it? Graphics artists always push the hardware to its limits. In the end it's not how good the hardware is... but how good the artist is that matters.
  4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    Most of Mac OS 9 was, in fact, released this Century (was it not?)
  5. zv470 macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2004
    New Zealand
    It's a figure of speech.
  6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    You ARE correct.

Mac OS 9.0 didnt ship till Oct 23, 1999.