Making Lion Act More Like Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 25, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Since Lion's release, we've been collecting tips on reverting changes found in Lion back to behavior found in Snow Leopard. Now some might argue its better to get used to the stock installation, but if that's not you, here are the tips we've seen.

[​IMG]

- Natural Scroll: This change seems to have generated the most outcry. In Lion, Apple has reversed the normal scrolling direction for trackpads and scroll wheels. In the past, the metaphor has been that swiping down has caused the page to scroll up. Now, swiping down means scrolling down. It takes a few days to get used to, but if you can't there's an option to revert back.

- Key Repeat: @mikeindustries (requires Terminal):
    - New Window Animations: @tomasf (requires Terminal):
    - Don't Save: @tomasf (requires Terminal):
    - Resume: Disable resume in Lion.

- Spaces: Assigning apps to one space or all spaces.

[​IMG]

- Classic Mail: Lion's Mail takes on a distinct iOS look, but the classic Mac OS X Mail look is available through a checkbox preference in Mail.

- Front Row: Mad Hatter has instructions on how to re-enable FrontRow on Lion, though we've heard some mixed results about it working.

- LimeiBook86 posts some instructions which duplicate ones we have shown here, but also includes restoring Finder Window's Path and Status Bar as well as turning off Dashboard as a space.

Article Link: Making Lion Act More Like Snow Leopard

2. macrumors 68000

Here's an idea, rather than make Lion act like Snow Leopard. Stick to Snow Leopard.

3. macrumors 65816

Nikos

Only thing that kind of bothered me was the lack of key repeat, thanks for that tip!

4. macrumors newbie

Anyone figure out how to make the mouse wake the computer from sleep? This is a major annoyance for me.

5. macrumors newbie

And you upgraded because.......

6. macrumors member

Just requires a click instead of mouse movement for me, IMO this is much better as it greatly reduces the chance of accidentally waking your Mac up.

7. macrumors 68000

GSPice

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Answers like this don't require any critical thinking or intellectual honesty. It's the kind of stuff people skip over in google's search results.

8. macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

... to have the most recent security updates and fixes.

9. macrumors 68000

Why upgrade an OS only to search tirelessly to get it back to how it was before? Seems pretty pointless. Also seems your contribution to this thread is pretty limited too, the irony being that people would skip over your comment.

10. macrumors regular

Anyone happen to know how to restore pinch-to-zoom in the finder (to resize icons) in Snow Leopard? I'm hoping Better Touch Tool can at least address this in a future revision.

11. macrumors regular

iwan073

Some people really don't like change, now do they?

12. macrumors regular

Some people like the new features in Lion with a few exceptions. There are a few quirky things, but overall I like the new features in Lion. I do, however, want to fix those quirky things.

13. macrumors 6502a

Is there any info on whether Lion has any actual performance improvements over SL, rather than pointless ios gimmicks?
    Is it better at exploiting multiple cores, gpus, ram, etc.?
    All I hear about is gimmicks that ape ios. With SL, they focused on making the os exploit the power of the computer better.

14. Guest

AAPLaday

Only if its for the better ;)

15. macrumors regular

King Flamez1

all of the applications are 64-bit supported (not 100% sure about this one), it would also be able to handle the "retina displays" in the future. and a big security update

16. macrumors 601

talmy

I'd like to get Snow Leopard's full screen operation back since I've got multiple monitors. Also desire the old Spaces and Expose. Alas, I don't expect any of this. :(

17. macrumors newbie

The most stupidest things that i ever hear is articles "how make new thing work like old". Apple always was company with advanced technology. If Apple change something they always know why and because. The things like that "make new works like old" the same if you says: I hate new internal combustion engine! I want to make it work like steam-engine!! :rolleyes:

New scroll is offbeat only for 1-2 days maximum! Than it will becomes a habit.

"Turn off Lion's stupid ban on key repeating"?? I you kidding me?? :eek: This is the one of the small and useful function, than F.. Windows will never had.

"Disable resume in Lion"! :eek: Sure! Thank Steve, that you add disable function for your new great OS, now all people around the world can turn it off!! Btw who can tell me how to disable stupidest touchscreen on my iPad?

So, dear Mac users, if you are true :apple: user remember - all new functions is always look strange (because they new), but after some time, you will accustomed and THIS new functions became a great canyon between your Mac and others pfsht.

18. macrumors 6502a

Anyone know how to stop the slide animation when switching desktops?

It used to be possible in previous Mac OS X with a defaults write.

19. macrumors newbie

FOR WHAT?? FOR WHAT you want disable all than HUGE Apple team is inviting for you?? I don't understand this people at all! :confused:

20. macrumors regular

King Flamez1

like the 3 finger swipe on the trackpad?

21. macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

OpenGL upgrade? 64 bit iTunes?

22. macrumors 601

talmy

Definite Real World performance improvement for users that make use of the auto-save and resume features by not quitting applications (use command W and never command Q). Everyone gets the more efficient 64-bit kernel code. It's up to applications to make use of the multiple cores and GPUs. Luckily I've got enough "Lionized" applications in my workflow that I can see definite productivity improvements already -- and productivity improvements beat out synthetic benchmarks of performance any day.

23. macrumors G3

Kilamite

I want my 4 finger swipes back to the way they were. And I want CMD+H to properly hide an application by putting it the end of the CMD+TAB list.

Other than that, I'm happy with Lion.

24. macrumors 6502a

RebootD

Because for some people time = money and the less time spent with fancy animations means more productivity. Some people work on these machines.

25. macrumors newbie

If you have slow Mac don't install Lion! Or upgrade the Mac