Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
"Turn off Lion's stupid ban on key repeating"?? I you kidding me?? :eek: This is the one of the small and useful function, than F.. Windows will never had.

It's a reasonable thing that people would want to turn again.

"Disable resume in Lion"! :eek: Sure! Thank Steve, that you add disable function for your new great OS, now all people around the world can turn it off!! Btw who can tell me how to disable stupidest touchscreen on my iPad?

Resume might be useful to some, but I don't want my last used things to reappear when I re-open that app. Might have personal stuff there, or open a document that you don't want to work on, so you end up having to close it anyway.

So, dear Mac users, if you are true :apple: user remember - all new functions is always look strange (because they new), but after some time, you will accustomed and THIS new functions became a great canyon between your Mac and others pfsht.

I'm not a 'true' Apple user by your definition, but I'm a power user. And small changes like ones described here can really interrupt my workflow. Whether I have to "re-learn" isn't always the case, I've got my workflow adapted to how previous OS X versions worked. Lion has changed a lot of that, some for the better, some of the worse.

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
I'd love to know how to do "Save As..." in Preview. Now when I look at a PDF from the web that I want to save in a different spot, I have to Duplicate, and then Save a copy.

Beforehand it was just "Save As..." and then rename.

Minor annoyance.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
The most stupidest things that i ever hear is articles "how make new thing work like old". Apple always was company with advanced technology. If Apple change something they always know why and because.

The most stupidest things that i ever hear is people who blindly accept everything Apple does as the best way.

Just because Apple "know why and because" they've made a change, doesn't make it right. And certainly not right for everyone.

Check your EULA. There is no condition of owning Apple products that you must agree with and like everything Apple does.

pavcorr

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
trackpad swipe: back when usingt folders

ok, first of all, I really dig Lion... I can see some great improvement in their interface (except for natural scrolling).

The is one thing I dont know if its missing or its me who just cant find a workaround.... it worked on snow leopard.

The issue im talking about is:
Whenever working on finder, especially browsing folders, I could swipe (2 or 3) finger in order to go back or forward. Now I have to select the back key :(

anyone else find this annoying? I so got used to this shortcut that now I missed it.

Is there any workaround so to reapply this function?

Thanks guys!!

thepumpkinking

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
"New scroll is offbeat only for 1-2 days maximum! Than it will becomes a habit."

Unless you have machines that you cannot, for various reasons, upgrade to Lion. So now every time you get used to scrolling one way it's a pain to go work on the other machine.

There are many reasons people may ask for things that you don't see need for. Just because you can't understand doesn't mean you can pass judgement on people. Think before you type. :rolleyes:

thepumpkinking

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Whenever working on finder, especially browsing folders, I could swipe (2 or 3) finger in order to go back or forward. Now I have to select the back key :(

I too would love to have that feature back. Not sure why it disappeared as it doesn't seem to have been replaced by anything else.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
If you have slow Mac don't install Lion! Or upgrade the Mac
Maybe you didn't get the memo, but there are seriously cool security enhancements in Lion as well as that whole iCloud thing coming in iOS 5 in September, not to mention document revisions and a very cool new implementation of FileVault. Just to name a few.

I'll never understand people who insist on dictating how others should use their computers... :rolleyes:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Resume might be useful to some, but I don't want my last used things to reappear when I re-open that app. Might have personal stuff there, or open a document that you don't want to work on, so you end up having to close it anyway.

The "problem" is you need to adapt to the new paradigm. Don't close the application (command-Q), but instead close the window (command-W) and that personal stuff won't reappear.

I'd love to know how to do "Save As..." in Preview. Now when I look at a PDF from the web that I want to save in a different spot, I have to Duplicate, and then Save a copy.

Beforehand it was just "Save As..." and then rename.

Minor annoyance.

Having to Duplicate and then Save (or close the new window) to do a Save As does seem annoying at first, I must admit, but it is an understandable technique which matches what one already has to do in Finder. Particularly in editors there is a conceptual problem with "Save As" in that if you continue editing you are editing the new file and not the original file. With Duplicate this issue goes away as you have two windows, one for each document.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
like the 3 finger swipe on the trackpad?

Nah. I just don't like having the animation when I change desktops by app switching. I work on a 27" screen and it's very annoying, disruptive and causes eye strain. I'm developing the habit to look away when i switch apps that change desktops.

When you swipe, it's a slow transition so not as abrasive. But when i change apps and they're on different desktops, it zings across rapidly which is visually irritating.

On previous OS X, I had the animation when switching spaces disabled, which meant there's no visual interruption or disruption.

babby

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
Reopen windows when logging back in

When you shut down your computer or restart, there is an option checked by default to reopen your open windows when logging in. I have looked for a way to have that box unchecked by default but cannot find it.

I usually have a lot of windows open and it takes forever for them to all open up when I turn my computer back on. Most of the windows I don't need open. I know it is easy to uncheck the box, but I would rather have the box unchecked by default. If I want all the windows open when I resume working I just shut the lid on my macbook to put it to sleep.

I can see why this feature is useful and will make use of it from time to time but would be nice to have a default option either way.

dvasa

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2009
Maybe you didn't get the memo, but there are seriously cool security enhancements in Lion as well as that whole iCloud thing coming in iOS 5 in September, not to mention document revisions and a very cool new implementation of FileVault. Just to name a few.

I'll never understand people who insist on dictating how others should use their computers... :rolleyes:

this is exactly what apple does to us....annoys the cr*ap out of me!

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Sadly there doesn't seem to be an "app" for fixing VPN that Lion broke by not recognizing my USB token.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Anyone figure out how to make the mouse wake the computer from sleep? This is a major annoyance for me.

For Magic Mouse - and probably other BT mice:
"Allow blue tooth device to wake up computer" - in BT preferences.

Additional:
iSync - copy your SL iSync.app to Lion, and you'll be syncing your non Apple phone once more.

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The most stupidest things that i ever hear is people who blindly accept everything Apple does as the best way.
Apple gave you the option to have things the new or the old way. Be grateful. Apple could have said "the new way, like it or lump it". But they did not. They gave you the choice. And I'm glad they did.

And the Apple way is the best way (this time). Cause Apple have you the choice (old or new).

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
ok, first of all, I really dig Lion... I can see some great improvement in their interface (except for natural scrolling).

The is one thing I dont know if its missing or its me who just cant find a workaround.... it worked on snow leopard.

anyone else find this annoying? I so got used to this shortcut that now I missed it.

Is there any workaround so to reapply this function?

Thanks guys!!

Change the "Swipe between pages" gesture to "Swipe with two or three fingers"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-25 at 8.30.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-25 at 8.30.44 AM.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,596
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.