Making Mac OS X icons

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, May 5, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I read in Mac Addict that you can make Mac OS X icons in photoshop, i don't understand iconographer. so is there a way to do it in photoshop only. I read the article but lost the magazine, does anyone have a scanned in page or a PDF of it, or a link to a site. I need help because when i paste transparent icons, the clear turns to white! help me please!

2. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: Making Mac OS X icons

Iconographer is definitely a superior tool for editing/creating X icons. I don't know if Photoshop can save to a .icns file, but it can save to a Pict resource. But .icns needs a 128-bit, 32-bit, masks, and B&W resources all in the same file.

Sounds a bit complicated for just Photoshop, might be a lot easier to use a conjunction of the two apps. That's what I do.

I don't really know about the transparent stuff, that's ALWAYS been an issue w/making icons for me.

3. edgecurve macrumors newbie

4. Here&There macrumors newbie

a very icony day

Can anyone tell me how to use those .icns files as icons? I mean lets say I have a file called speke.icns, how do I use that on a folder?

5. edgecurve macrumors newbie

1) Select the icon you want to use in the finder.
    2) Hit command-I (apple - I) to get information
    3) Click the icon in the info window
    4) Hit command - c to copy the icon
    5) In the finder select the item where you want to use the new icon
    6) After that is selected go to its info window (should be open if you haven't closed it)
    7) Hit command - v to paste the icon

That item should now be using the new icon. This works most of the time. Some icons can't be changed as easily.

6. Here&There macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, but thats not what I was asking. I want to use .icns files as icons, and they have generic icons. (When you use iconmaker or IconComposer they generate .icns files..) I can make an icon in IconComposer and see it on icns Browser, but can not use it as an icon of my HD for example. I'm sure there is a very easy way to do this , but what??

7. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

.icns as icons

I think it has something to do with a preview needing to be generated. Not 100% sure, though.