Making MacRumors email me when there's a new front page story?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by RedTomato, Aug 13, 2006.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Is there a way to have MacRumors email me when there's a new story on the front page?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Technically it could be done, but there's no easy way to do it. Are you familiar with RSS? I'd suggest to anyone that they start using an RSS aggregator. My favorite is NetNewsWire which is also available in a freeware version called NetNewsWire Lite. As you may know if you have Tiger, Safari in Tiger has RSS capabilities built in, but I am not fond of Safari's RSS system.

4. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

you could wait until leopard, and use the web clip feature in dashboard. not really practical though:D

S

5. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Thanks folks.

Just that sometimes MR goes for quite a while without a new story, and checking it becomes too addictive :)

just an email when there's a new story would have been nice.

The WebClip feature wouldn't work, if I understand it correctly, as the space given to the leading story is quite variable.

Used to use RSS, but realised I didn't like the website names being permenantly visible in my Firefox bar so I deleted them. (ok flame me - either I set it up wrongly or I'm overpicky about having a clean browser window.)

6. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

That would be a good idea. It would load their servers but I wouldn't be checking the site constantly looking for new things.

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

we may be able to do this.

arn