making mail's sort by subject feature smarter?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by excalibur313, Feb 20, 2007.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I really like how mail can sort incoming messages by subject. This means that they are grouped together and then I can just open the thread and view the conversation between me and other people involved with the email. My problem with it is that sometimes when the same subject is used for 2 separate sets of correspondances, it will be grouped together. Is there a way so that the computer will track a given communication and only group emails together only when the subjects match and when it is from a person who was in the original email or something to that effect?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes. Use the sort by subject feature you just mentioned together with the Group by Thread feature. This can be found in the menu bars somewhere, probably under Mailbox or something like that (I'm not at a Mac right now, otherwise I'd tell you exactly where it is).

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Mail> View> Organize by thread.

Wow. I've learned so much more about Mail.app now. :eek:

4. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

So I had the group by thread thing turned on and that does it part way but the problem is that i have a subject frequently used lets say "how are you". Now when I get a reply to a "how are you" it will show every single message with "how are you" instead of realizing that it is a new conversation with a completely different set of people. What would be ideal when I either send or receive mail it tracks who it goes to and who else recieved it. That way if someone responds to that email, the software would recognize that it was associated with the new "how are you" and not the old one that I had with my parents six months ago. (Like if i send a letter to 4 people and then I receive an email back from someone that I sent it to with the same subject, it will get grouped, but if someone else that wasn't in the correspondance at all happens to send an email with the same subject they will be put in a different thread.)