making my ethernet wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Assidua, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Assidua macrumors newbie

Hi
    sorry, my first post. I'm a student in halls of residence and I want to make my ethernet connection wireless, so that I can have both my pc and mac connecting at the same time. Do you think I have to buy a wireless router or will a wireless access point do the trick?

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

A wireless router would do it. There's also the possibility, if your mac has an airport card, that you can plug the ethernet cable into your mac and broadcast the connection from there.

Before you do either of these things however, you might want to check about your school's policy on wireless networks. Most college dorms don't allow personal wireless networks and i've seen people get into alot of trouble for breaking those rules.

3. Assidua thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the legality of making a network within a network is Ok where I'm at; at least, most people seem to be doing it with no bother.

I have an airport card but I want to use my macbook pro around my place, it's the PC I could leave be, so I think I need a wireless router. Any ideas of what to get? I checked out ebay but I'm not sure they can make my ethernet wireless- despite advertising ethernet connections, those are only for connecting computers to your router, and not ethernet connection to the router, if you know what I mean? Are most brands OK with Macs?

4. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

That hardly implies legality but if you're sure :) .

As far as routers, make sure it's a "wireless" router. There are many routers out there that just split one ethernet connection into many. I've never heard of a router that didn't work with a mac. Anything from linksys or belkin I know by experience will work.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

:confused: Uh, no, I don't know what you mean.

Buy a wireless router. Pretty much any wireless router will do -- a popular and stable model is the Linksys WRT54G. You can get it for about $50 pretty much any place that sells networking equipment. It will have a WAN ethernet port for your internet connection, plus four ethernet ports for your computers that you want to plug in, plus of course the wireless capability.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Netgear will definitly work with Pc's and Mac's

FJ

7. Assidua thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, ordered a WGR614UK netgear wireless router from amazon, refurbished. waste not want not...

8. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

9. Assidua thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh found my wireless router cheaper- should have got it from www.planet78.co.uk instead of Amazon! Hope that helps anyone else with the same problem!