Making my iMac G5 Faster?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kalinatek, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Kalinatek macrumors regular

hey guys!

its been some time since i last posted something here .. anyway ... i feel that my baby is getting slow .. so what can i do to make it faster ? any files to delete (maybe cache or temp files if there are any?) i delete safari's cache and history everyday but i still feel its slower than before.. it only has about 30 GB of Software+Mp3s and like 130GB of empty HD space .. and i've got 1GB Ram.

thanks

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

A) Normal housekeeping. Use something like Onyx, CockTail, Macjanitor, or Macoroni for deleting system caches, temp files, old log files ect ect.. Also repair permissions with Disk Utility

B) Directory maintenance: Use Diskwarrior or TechToolPro or Drive Genius

C) Clone your HD to an external drive, erase & reformat the iMac's HD, then clone everything back to it. Use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner. This wil defrag your HD completely, and if you're running Tiger, run Spotlight afterwards to re-index all your files.

D) Max Da Ram :)

3. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

:)
    I just spent $300 on a 2GB chip and maxed my 2.1GHz G5 out.

This little bump has really made a difference. I'm constantly opening 400mb tiff files and before it'd take a cool 5 minutes to get it open and now its there as soon as photoshop loads.

Expensive... but there isn't going to be a better way of getting it done right.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Other things you can do in terms of speed....

- Have you picked up more running widgets over this time? See if you can rationalize.

- You might try re-indexing spotllight. Sometimes the index gets a little wiggy and slows things down.

5. Kalinatek thread starter macrumors regular

i dont use any widgets ...

thanks Smurf and all of u guys :)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To see whether adding RAM would help you, run Activity Monitor, and see how many pageouts you're getting, if you haven't already. If the number is >> a few thousand, then it will probably help you to have more RAM, based on your usage profile.