Making My iPod's Battery Last

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by OutThere, Apr 3, 2004.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    I just got a new 3G 15gig iPod, and I have a quick question. I got the iPod, charged it all the way, then discharged it all the way. Upon recharging it I was unsure of what to do. Should I drain the battery all the way before recharging it? I know this hurt some models, but I am unsure if this is bad for the new iPods. Thanks for any input. :)
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    With Lithium Ion batteries, it's good to do a full cycle every 2 or 3 months. But isn't very critical.

I'd say in general charge it when it needs it or when you know you're going to need more charge then it has.

Li-Ion batteries are a lot more tolerant of weird charging habits. My iPod is a 1G 10GB and is over 21 months old. I've noticed no problems with the battery.

Both NiCad and NiMH batteries are more sensitive to the num,ber of charging cycles and NiCads really want full use between charges. The main issue with Li-Ion batteries is that when they die, they tend to go with no notice.

I'm hoping my battery lasts until the next gen iPod is out.
  3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    From what I've read, Li-Ion batteries deteriorate more quickly if they are fully discharged.