Making Network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Aperture, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Hi. Say you had 2 wireless Macs, (2 macbooks) could you create a network between the two despite neither of them having internet access? Would you be able to Apple Remote Desktop into the other one? (Oh, & wirelssly)

Thanks

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

You'd still need a wireless router like the Airport Express or Airport Extreme to create a local area network.

Remote Desktop would work.

3. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

Ah, I see. The reason I ruled that out was Macs have built in networking. Click the airport icon in the menu bar, see how it says "Create Network"? Does that mean anything?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You could create a wireless Ad Hoc network between the two, just go to the AirPort menu and choose "Create Network."

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Wow...that's cool!

EricNau, I'm assuming Remote Desktop is gonna work over the ad hoc network just like it would over a normal LAN right?

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I would assume so, but of course that's just an assumption - I could be wrong.

7. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

So I hit Create Network. (Don't have my Mac right now.. can't try it out)

Then on the other MacBook i'll see the network I just created in the "Airport" menu?

Correct?

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Should do, you can even add encryption to it by using the Show Options button. To be extra safe i would change the name to something nondescript. When i try it on mine to just comes up with my name which i may not want broadcasting around the area. (Some people may be able to guess passwords etc. etc., not mine though as they are all gobbledgook)

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes.

...And as xUKHCx said, if you plan on using this for an extended amount of time, you should definitely add a (unguessable) password.