Making new life from scratch?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by vniow, Nov 21, 2002.

1. macrumors G4

Interesting.

Whole article from the Washington Post.
    Free reg required.

Brings up that whole question of gods and man and what is life again.

2. macrumors 604

MacBandit

Can you say Jurassic Park or should that be Virologic Park. They think they have all the loose ends covered. Life will always find a way.

3. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Quite scary and amazing at the same time - like you said MacBandit, Jurasic Park. But even if it is a new life form, it doesn't mean its going to be a problem or hazard. I'm more worried about further research in the years to come that attempt to create something a little more sinister.

Even something like a organism designed to eat cancerous cells in your body - sounds great, 'The Cure for Cancer' at last. But what if its designed to get around the body's immune system and do the work on the cancer cells, but gets a mutated strain and desides that healthy cells are just as good. Then all life on the planet would be at risk. This is just one scenario......

D

4. macrumors 603

solvs

Don't these scientists ever watch Sci-Fi?

We're all doomed.

5. macrumors 6502a

I'm skeptical of this. We cannot control life, not even one man creates. Evolution dictates that an organism will evolve in order to improve its survival rate. The fact that these scientists think they can control what this organism can do only says to me that they think they can control evolution. Last time i checked, evolution was based on natural selection, not human based selection. The only evolution we've been able to successfully slow/stop is our own. We're the only species that changes the environment to suit our needs rather than evolving in order to suit our environment. Thats why we're destroying our own planet in the name of progress. What a species we are.....:rolleyes:

6. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Rimmer: "We're going to diiii-iiieee..."

As good as their intent may be, we can all see that it will get into the wrong hands one way or another eventually. It always does. We keep trying to play God, and one of these days we're going to wipe ourselves out. I can only hope that I'll be 6 feet under from natural causes before then... :rolleyes:

7. macrumors regular

Can you say

Ego Maniac

8. macrumors 6502a

beez7777

you have a good overall point, just that natural selection works a little differently. animals can not change themselves (evolve) in order to suit their environment. evolution is based on a genetic mutation in the dna, and if this mutation happens to give an advantage, only those with the mutation will survive.
    for example: lets say a random mutation occurs in giraffes that gives them longer necks. if for some reason the only food available is higher than normal giraffes can reach, only the mutated giraffes will be able to eat, and therefore live and reproduce. they pass down the trait of longer necks to their offspring, but meanwhile the "normal" giraffes cant reach the food. they die out, and the mutated giraffes become the more populated. this is evolution- natural selection.

9. macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Nah. In my Judeo-Christian belief system, God created life from nothing. Nada. Man is merely trying to dissect a watch, figure out what makes it tick (so to speak), and recreate it. We haven't exactly achieved godhood (nor will we ever).

10. thread starter macrumors G4

Interesting way of looking at it.
    I like it.

11. macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Yeah, but unfortunately, while we are not Godlike in our creative powers, we can be devil-like in what we do with what we RE-create. Some of the alarms I've seen people raise in here I believe are quite valid. These new developments can be used for good (I can only imagine some of the medical applications), or evil (e.g., biological warfare, as some have suggested).

Thanks for some interesting stories edvniow.