Making NSTableViews not look lame! :D

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Littleodie914, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys, I'm working on an oh-so-secret cocoa app, and am trying to figure out how to make an NSTableView resemble the look you see in Mail. (With the big cells and the cool blue background.) At first I thought this might be a weird custom class that Apple wrote themselves, until I saw it in Acquisition, and then BitRocket. Also, is there any easy way to turn a panel into that cool "Adjust" panel from iPhoto? I know I've seen it in the new version of Shiira, and it looks sweet, so if anyone knows how to implement this type of design, that'd be awesome. Thanks! :D

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The NSTableView delegate class controls a lot of behaviours (row height etc), as can custom NSCell subclasses in NSTableViews.

The adjust Panel in iPhoto is all custom :( There are at least 2 open-source HUD (this is what this panel type is called) implementations out there:

New one (screenshot)

Longer established effort.

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

The blue thing in mail is called a gradient and there are quite a few knocking about - Wil Shipley has an all singing and dancing one and Matt Gemmell has one too (check out his iTableView). Matt also has demo code for the HUD. You will probs need to spend time developing custom button artwork etc to use it properly though.

http://mattgemmell.com/source/

4. sean.obrien macrumors newbie

The iLifeControls framework (first link above) also includes custom buttons/checkboxs/sliders/popup buttons for HUD windows.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Are you the author (just guessing from the username). If so well done! It looks excellent (although I've not used the framework).

6. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I just had a look at it too...Looks very handy :)