making panoramas (stitching)

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jelloshotsrule, Jun 11, 2003.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what software do people recommend/use for stitching together photos to make panoramas? i've used stitcher (by realviz) back a while ago in os 9.... i have tried their demo in x, but it's effectively worthless cause you can't save or anything... makes sense for a demo. but before i decide on buying any given software, wanted to check to see if people had any favorites and such

thanks

2. losfp macrumors regular

I've tried a couple of stitching programs - mostly ones that came with my camera, but I've always found the best results come from manually merging them in photoshop etc. basically just using layer masks to blend them into each other..

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ahhh. i tried to do that already... it may just be because i was doing a non-tripod panorama attempt, but PS wasn't doing it... i wasn't sure if it was me, or the software, or both.

i suppose i will try a tripod mounted one and see what i get with PS...

word

4. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

I highly recommend Arcsoft's Panorama Maker 2.0 for the initial stitch. You really have to take pictures that line up well and have similar exposure and focus to get good results though.

Panorama Maker is great, but I usually have to open the file in Photoshop afterwards and do some final cleaning up. I've gotten spectacular panos from that combo of software though!

Here's the url: http://www.arcsoft.com/products/software/en/panoramamaker.html

If you want to buy it separately, it's $39.99, but it also ships with all Nikon digital cameras, so if you have one of those, then you probably already have the software.

Good luck!

Alia

5. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

awesome, my bro has a nikon. so i'll see if he has that software for a test drive if nothing else

thanks for the info.

6. losfp macrumors regular

I find that I have to be pretty careful when taking photos for a panorama... taking all care to swivel the camera around an imaginary tripod (and actually use a tripod if possible!!), setting the camera on manual exposure/focus and taking up to 8-10 shots for a 180' pano...