Making Safari read as a PC running IE?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by coopdog, Mar 27, 2004.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I have heard of members doing this w/ safari. I DLed a program to get the debug menu and searched google and I can't find out how to do it. Can any one help me. I don't care if it is safari, or another browser.

Oh yeah,

Thanks!

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Not sure if you've got the debug menu already. If you don't, quit Safari, go into Terminal, type 'defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1', and open Safari.

Then in the Debug menu go to the 'User Agent' submenu (third from the bottom) and choose 'Windows MSIE 6.0'.

3. AtlantaGuy macrumors member

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Just remembered something: Try to only use it if a site requires you to (eg it displays a message saying IE is required and won't let you browse the site). Otherwise avoid it because if you're browser is disguising itself as IE, then webmasters will think more people are using IE than actually are, and hence will design the site accordingly.

5. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point! Thanks for your guy's help.

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

That is a great point. Another good point is why would you want to pretend to be something that is pure crap when you already have something that displays everything correctly and uses standards.

BOO to internet explorer

7. AtlantaGuy macrumors member

Because some sites, like the MLS web site I depend on for my job as a Realtor, will not open in anything other than IE. Actually, it won't even work with Safari Enhancer's Debug option, or Firebird, or OmniWeb, etc... nothing but IE. I'm far from happy about it, but I can't toss out Internet Explorer. I've talked to the tech support people locally and at the developer's offices about standards until I'm blue in the face. They don't care... the site is coded for Internet Explorer only and that's it.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much. Many web-based MLS's don't allow Mac access at all, Internet Explorer or not, without using Virtual PC. We're looked at as nothing more than irrelevant and insignificant pests, at best. Be forewarned.

8. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

the more sites that see your browser as pc ie the more junk that will be sent your way via those sites.