Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnwhiteh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
My MBP is on the way, but reading up a bit more on the sleep modes I'm a bit concerned. I use my laptop alongside a desktop to complete a lot of my work. There are many times when I need to shut the lid to do something, but need to retain my connection/file transfers, etc.

I see that Insomnia is capable of this, but doesn't appear to work with the Intel MBP. I would like my laptop to sleep/shutdown when I press the power button, but do nothing when the lid is shut.

Anyone have any ideas?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Nope...InsomniaX and SleepLess used to be able to do this as you noticed, but the 10.4.8 update broke these apps. No word on when a workaround will be developed.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Plug in a display adapter to make it think a 2nd monitor is attached. Then it won't sleep. At least, this has worked on my MBP, but mine has been pretty sleep-flaky anyway (will probably send it in for repairs when I go on vacation for a couple of weeks), so perhaps that's not standard.

jnwhiteh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
That sucks.. its just my main complaint with how I use my laptops =)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Plug in a display adapter to make it think a 2nd monitor is attached. Then it won't sleep. At least, this has worked on my MBP, but mine has been pretty sleep-flaky anyway (will probably send it in for repairs when I go on vacation for a couple of weeks), so perhaps that's not standard.

Hmm...you reminded me that I've seen you mention this a couple of times. I routinely have my PB actually connected to an external display and it goes to sleep just fine when I close the lid (which is what I want it to do). Is this something new with the MBPs?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Hmm...you reminded me that I've seen you mention this a couple of times. I routinely have my PB actually connected to an external display and it goes to sleep just fine when I close the lid (which is what I want it to do). Is this something new with the MBPs?

I suspect it's something wrong with mine. Mine has had increasing difficulty with staying asleep under many circumstances, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was non-standard behavior. Which'd make mine unique, so I suppose that's cool... except that I want it to always go to sleep and stay asleep when it's shut.

Mr B

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2006
Washington DC
I have a few questions regarding using an external dispaly with my mbp. When I close the laptop when it is plugged in, I can use the display just fine, but if I try to close/put mbp to sleep on battery power, the display keeps sleeping, can't use it. any thoughts?

Also, what danger am I doing to my display on my mbp regarding heat issues but using it closed?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
That's correct...your computer must be plugged in in order for lid-closed mode to work.

And you shouldn't be doing any damage to your MBP...it's an Apple-approved method. The old iBooks used to vent heat through the keyboard, and Apple was very clear that these models were not to be used in lid-closed mode.

jnwhiteh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
This was discussed in another thread. See this post for Apple's official solution.

That's not what I asked to do. I know full well I can run an external display. I want to have my laptop run, while plugged in and with the lid closed, with nothing connected to it. Its pretty simple, I transfer files and maintain net connections, and I need to be able to shut my laptop without those being interrupted.

For now, I'll continue using my toshiba for these sorts of applications, which seems like a waste.

MygoYugo

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2006
Dallas, TX
This is funny. I was just going to post asking for help as to why my MBP won't go to sleep when I close the lid...it's quite annoying that music continues to play and I hate to think what it's doing to my battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.