Making sleep manual in MBP (C2D)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jnwhiteh, Nov 2, 2006.

1. jnwhiteh macrumors newbie

My MBP is on the way, but reading up a bit more on the sleep modes I'm a bit concerned. I use my laptop alongside a desktop to complete a lot of my work. There are many times when I need to shut the lid to do something, but need to retain my connection/file transfers, etc.

I see that Insomnia is capable of this, but doesn't appear to work with the Intel MBP. I would like my laptop to sleep/shutdown when I press the power button, but do nothing when the lid is shut.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Nope...InsomniaX and SleepLess used to be able to do this as you noticed, but the 10.4.8 update broke these apps. No word on when a workaround will be developed.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Plug in a display adapter to make it think a 2nd monitor is attached. Then it won't sleep. At least, this has worked on my MBP, but mine has been pretty sleep-flaky anyway (will probably send it in for repairs when I go on vacation for a couple of weeks), so perhaps that's not standard.

4. jnwhiteh thread starter macrumors newbie

That sucks.. its just my main complaint with how I use my laptops =)

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hmm...you reminded me that I've seen you mention this a couple of times. I routinely have my PB actually connected to an external display and it goes to sleep just fine when I close the lid (which is what I want it to do). Is this something new with the MBPs?

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I suspect it's something wrong with mine. Mine has had increasing difficulty with staying asleep under many circumstances, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was non-standard behavior. Which'd make mine unique, so I suppose that's cool... except that I want it to always go to sleep and stay asleep when it's shut.

7. Mr B macrumors member

Mr B

I have a few questions regarding using an external dispaly with my mbp. When I close the laptop when it is plugged in, I can use the display just fine, but if I try to close/put mbp to sleep on battery power, the display keeps sleeping, can't use it. any thoughts?

Also, what danger am I doing to my display on my mbp regarding heat issues but using it closed?

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's correct...your computer must be plugged in in order for lid-closed mode to work.

And you shouldn't be doing any damage to your MBP...it's an Apple-approved method. The old iBooks used to vent heat through the keyboard, and Apple was very clear that these models were not to be used in lid-closed mode.

9. Mr B macrumors member

Mr B

Thanks! now i will enjoy my display without worry :D

10. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

This was discussed in another thread. See this post for Apple's official solution.

11. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

These apps aren't needed anyway. No real loss for the MBP owners.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They are if you want to run in lid-closed without any externals.

13. jnwhiteh thread starter macrumors newbie

That's not what I asked to do. I know full well I can run an external display. I want to have my laptop run, while plugged in and with the lid closed, with nothing connected to it. Its pretty simple, I transfer files and maintain net connections, and I need to be able to shut my laptop without those being interrupted.

For now, I'll continue using my toshiba for these sorts of applications, which seems like a waste.

14. MygoYugo macrumors newbie

This is funny. I was just going to post asking for help as to why my MBP won't go to sleep when I close the lid...it's quite annoying that music continues to play and I hate to think what it's doing to my battery life.