making tars for people

Discussion in 'Community' started by mac15, May 23, 2002.

1. macrumors 68040

mac15

i would just like to say that I will make tars for people now
    I made one for ambitiouslemon
    if you want one just email me and tell me a theme or something you want

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, excuse me? I think you've stepped into the wrong territory here, offering services for something that's already well established. You think you're that good, do you? You are the most prolific 'tarist on the board, I'll give you that, but with the limited number of people >25 that have tars now, do you think there's that great a market?

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

sorry for taking your place ......I wanted to do it for fun
    sheeesh...soooory

4. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Dude, I'm giving you a hard time, sheesh, I hate having to force sarcasm. Do it, have fun, you obviously enjoy it enough to make 5 a day for your self! Just wait a bit, you'll have an opportunity soon to make a whole bunch of 'tars....

5. macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

To tell you the truth, and believe me I mean no disrespect, but I find constantly moving avatars very annoying while browsing a page. Whatever happened to a picture saying a thousand words? I find good static avatars much more interesting and pleasing to the Eye. (pun intended if anyone gets it)

Duke, yours is very simple and has very little animation, so I like it. I also find the picture to be really nice behind it. The others are cute, but the meaning is very obvious and gets old.

Are there rules for avatars? When I earn mine, I'd like it to be a bit bigger than all the others now. Is there a pixel limit? I've seen other sites that have panoramic style avatars and those are really cool.

-Pete

6. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I agree with everything you have to say, and thanks for liking my tar, I tried to make it subtle. As for B2TMs iMac crushing Dell, it only cycles through once, so you're not forced to watch it continually. And the frame it stops on isn't a bad image in itself. My personal favorites are beej's and fallerons.

The limits are what you see, 50x50 and 20k, not much to work with, but more than enough to create something fun.

7. macrumors 68020

Beej

Does anyone find the smoke in my 'tars annoying? I think it's always pretty subtle...

8. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

They're great, you don't notice them unless you're really paying attention. I think one of the most annoying ones was my original dukestreet one and the 'show me the G5'

9. thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

fair enough duke
    But I want to get a tar that say hey that mac15...any Ideas
    I'm sorry If I get people annoyed cause I like changing my tar all the time....but to me it gets dull quick

10. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

No offense, but are you actually making those?

They look to me like ones I've seen around on the 'net...

11. macrumors 6502

macstudent

I just can't wait to put mine own online

12. macrumors 601

krossfyter

mac15 going for the "the avatar interception situation"

bring that *#$% in! uh!

13. macrumors 68020

mymemory

My avatar is cool, after a while you do not know if is supporting PC's or Mac's:D

14. thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

it gets confusing, mac bad PC good
    no wait........

15. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I like a good tar. I mean who doesn't. I agree thought about changing them so fast. I like the spy one, and the one you have now. Both are great. If you are making them yourself, then kudos, if not and your taking credit for them, then shame, shame shame.

I give all props on my avatar to the Great Dukestreet. :p

16. thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

well it's time to own up
    I didn't make the 007 one or the traffic one... I took em from resexellence
    in the throbbers section....and I just changed em a little bit
    but the one I have now and the one I made for ambitiouslemon are mine....I did them...I kept changing so often so people would recognise em
    So I guess it is shame shame shame

It was a fun ride will it lasted but now it's over..........

17. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

and then comes the admission of guilt...

shameful day for all here at macrumors... ;)

18. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, shame on you Mac15 ;)

Yea, like we are going to pass judgement. Well Alpha may, but don't worry about it. It isn't a big deal. Keep the one you have now. It is yours, and quite frankly I think it is the best one that you have had. Rock on my brother.

19. thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

I thought you would pull out the pitch fork and come after like and angry mob
    but I will never steal again;)

20. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

All right. Go to your room for a half an hour young man. The only thing you can do while you are there is play with that Apple computer of yours.....:p

21. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It was a little obvious from some of the tars you did that the traffic sign and the 007 weren't yours, especially after seeing the skateboarder. You did do that one, right? But you did mention when you introduced the traffic sign that you had outdone yourself this time.....

Don't worry about stealing, do you think I made the iMac and Dell from scratch for B2TMs 'tar, hell no. I used things I found on the net and modified them. There wasn't any question about it, I wasn't worried anyone would get mad at me for taking images that I hadn't created. What you have to do is give credit where credits due, and don't try and pass them off for your own, because your not going to fool everyone.

Continue making more 'tars, learn how to make things from scratch - look at what cleo did - these things aren't that tough, especially since you seem to know something about what you're doing.

22. macrumors 68030

britboy

Whilst the mood is one of honesty... the original image for my tar i found on the net. The animation is mine though :)

If anyone does find it annoying though, just let me know. I promise not to break down and be inconsolable for all of... oh, about 5 seconds :p

23. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I have alot on at the moment, I want to make my tar only go through once and make the time it spends on each complete avatar greater, it will take hardly anytime, if I can get around to it :)

Ensign

24. macrumors 68030

britboy

If you want a hand with that, i'm on holiday at the moment and could do that easily.

I can't promise i wouldn't replace schumi with button though ;)

25. macrumors 603

I wonder if we will see a competition for avatars. We already have mac15 providing more avatars for himself than the rate of more intelligent thoughts of things to do that are inserted into his brain...and then you have the master dukestreet.

I wonder if anyone else could step up to the plate and do an avatar thing.

BTW, anybody like mine? Really, it's no surprise. I did say motion avatar, but I couldn't find what I wanted. Besides, I decided to keep it simple.

Reference site: http://www.mysteriouswolf.com/angelmists/cobra.html

I did not create it myself.

Fear the King.