Making the green button actually work

Discussion in 'macOS' started by semaja2, Jan 3, 2006.

1. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys im really fed up with this lame ass excuse for a maximise button it only lowers productivity, i mean sure its probally great on screen res about 1024x756 but still most people use 1024*756 so anywho how can i make the green button work like it does in windows

2. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Use windows. Apple and Microsoft have different views of how the desktop should work. Unfortunately, neither of them actually lets you, the user, decide - they think they know best. I haven't come across a 3rd-party app that will do this for you on Mac OS X.

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

So it should be OK then as you say it's great at the screen res moste people use....oh wait. No one uses 1024x756....1024x768 maybe.:rolleyes:

I won't get started about grammar or spelling but at least try to make some sense when you post.

4. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well would be nice if there was just a hack that told the windows that the best size is he max res

PS seriously just cuz i guessed the wrong res size dont get bitchy at me

5. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

At least for Safari here's a work around that's been batted about in various threads
    But as for going full screen in other apps, no idea, have you tried searching version tracker for something to do this? I'm sure you're not the only one to wish for the green button to do something different.

**EDIT**
    Just searched VT and nothing, man there's gotta be something somewhere. Good luck in the quest

6. mo0805 macrumors member

mo0805

if you had to guess the size, how could you possibly have known that most people use it?

sorry, i just can't stand when people try to get away with being illogical.

the fact is, the developers of Mac OS X decided that it works better if a window does not take up the whole screen, so they made the "zoom" button only grow the window to take up a larger portion of the screen.

this is the way it is. if you don't like it, switch back to windows. it's not a maximize button.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I recommend trying to get used to not having everything maximised. When I switched, I found it weird that I could always see the rest of my desktop and some other open apps but now I think it's brilliant. When I use PCs, I don't maximise anymore. Most apps shouldn't take up the whole screen and there's nothing worse than having something like Explorer maximised whereby there are massive ugly white panels. :)

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I thought that people used drag-and-drop in Windows. That's part of the reason I won't use windows, even in Windows, that take up the whole display and why the zoom box works for me. Having a widescreen display makes this easier.

Maybe people use copy and paste instead?

9. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeh i know the green button is great on big screens but on a 12" screen you want windows to fill the screen becuase things just dont fit unless there full screens

10. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

exactly what apps do not fill up the entire screen (if there's in fact that much to show) when you press the green widget?

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Have you re-sized the window by dragging the resize box in the lower right? I'm not saying that all applications will agree with it or save the size but it should work with some applications that won't allow you to use the zoom box to do the same thing.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

first? how can be be great for that res, but bad for that res in everyone uses it?

second. i have a 12" screen. i dont want everything maximized. it does not lower productivity to have things take up only the amount of space need.

third. if you dont like the size of a window, make it bigger by adjusting it with the bottom right hand corner.

13. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

the green button should make a window take up the whole screen only if there's a whole screen's worth of stuff in the window to show. For example if you are on and high res display and you're viewing a website designed only for 1024x768 then you will only get 1024x768's worth of window by maximizing. If it maximized to cover the whole screen then you would just be seeing a lot of white space around the website.

It may be that the main thing that's irritating you here is that you are used to maximizing doing one thing and you want your computer to act as you expect it to. It's just an adjustment period. If you want it to maximize because your res really low then make sure you are hiding the dock - this will make windows maximize to the maximum amount if the window's information warrants it.

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Won't the green button make the window as large as it needs to be? :confused:

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's mostly a matter of what the developers and designers decided. Obviously, opinions differ on what needs to be.

16. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Yeah, I also find that when I go to Windows I never maximize now like I used to. But I really don't like how the WinXP title bar is so huge by default; wastes too much space.

17. rccola70 macrumors regular

Also, there are no borders around windows in OS X while in Windows, there are like 3 or 4 pixels of border around every window, making one want to maximize