Making the switch smoothly

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dummptyhummpty, May 4, 2005.

1. dummptyhummpty macrumors regular

Come June (awaiting to see if there is an update to the powerbook) I am hoping to make the switch to Apple. Oddly enough, thinking back to Kindergarten one of the first computers I used was an Apple II. Ever since then, though, I have been a PC user (a power user - I even build them). Any way, I am ready to make the switch. I'm getting tired of having to worry about Viruses and Ad-aware (not that I have many issues with them) and Windows is just getting really boring. I just want to make sure I can do every thing I do on my PC with out to much trouble. I will mostly surf the web, use AIM, check e-mail and do word processing (I'm starting @ UCSD). As a side hobby I like to edit web pages, movies (I'm looking forward to Final Cut), and I do occasionally use Photoshop. Also I currently use Exact Audio Copy (exactaudiocopy.de) to rip my CDs (in high quality) to my PC. I'm hoping I can find a replacement for the mac. I don't game very much so that isn't a big concern. I just want to make sure the Powerbook (for now the 15" 1.67ghz) can do all this with out much trouble. One thing I have been thinking about is Instant Messaging Logging. I currently use DeadAIM to log my convos...is there something like this for the mac? Thanks alot! It's going to be really hard to wait till June especially since my friend just got the 15" 1.67ghz. Oh ya! Does Apple plan on having any Dual Layer DVD drives yet or is this something you have to use externally?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is DeadAIM something that logs your IM on the web? iChat, Adium and others can automatically save transcripts on your hard disk, and with spotlight, finding the right one suddenly became very easy. ;) If you don't use video/audio chatting, Adium is definitely one of the main go-to chat packages on MacOS (Fire is another one people like).

Regarding Exact Audio Copy, you should really try iTunes and the Apple Lossless Encoding. It drops file size by about half from a bit-by-bit rip, through purely lossless methods, and it's built in.

3. dummptyhummpty thread starter macrumors regular

Ya deadaim is an addon ... it does other things but I just like the logging. I heard about Adium but I heard that you can not block people on it :-/. Ichat keeps conversation logs? Good to know.

I have iTunes on here and i'm not sure how different it is but I didn't see many options and the ones I did see I had no clue how to configure for optimal quality. Maybe I'll give it a try when/if I get the apple. I just don't want to use a format that will be outdated soon. Any more info on this Lossless Encoding?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I haven't seen iTunes' prefs on Windows, but on a Mac

Prefs->Importing pane->first menu = import using (AAC, MP3, lossless, etc).

If you choose lossless, you're done -- there are no quality settings, because its lossless.

If you choose AAC, the next menu down = setting, which is pretty self-explanatory, if you're advanced enough to be using something like exactaudiocopy. My impression is that these options are the same on a PC, but maybe not?

http://www.apple.com/itunes/import.html

5. dummptyhummpty thread starter macrumors regular

I'll look at it when i'm a little more awake. If I use this Apple Lossless format will I still be able to use something other then Itunes (say winamp)?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, I doubt it.

7. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Mohan has posted good advice

Listen man:

For your needs, the Mac platform will be more than enough. You will have access to the best creative software as well as the best free suite of apps in iLife. I would not hesitate to make the change.

As far as Lossless goes: only if you are the most discerning sound designer or audio tech will you be able to tell the difference from ACC and lossless. If you are concerned about audio compatibility, in this day and now, iTunes is the best option: not only is it one of the best programs in either platform for music enjoyment and organization, it is currently coupled to the best and most popular music player in the industry: you will be just fine switching to the Mac.

The only thing that can be considered a drawback is that you will need to re-purchase pro-level apps such as Photoshop. Trust me, however, you will not regret it.

Cheers and Welcome!

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you own CS, doesn't Adobe let you pay a small re-licensing fee and trade to a different OS? And if you're talking PSE, then you can buy it new for <$40 *sobs for having paid $60*.....

9. dummptyhummpty thread starter macrumors regular

I have Elements but would like the full version of PS (which i'm "trying out" on my pc).

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

(New or OEM upgraded) Desktops already have DL, and with Tiger, the DL suport is built-in (In Panther you need to use Toast to do DL burning). I have no idea when/if PowerBooks will support DL burning.

11. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

FELLOW NEW SWITCHER (slash thinking about switching!!)

Greetings Spaceboy464!!

I too am a fellow recent switcher (my powerbook is on its way to me now!! I can't wait, getting very impatient!) Ive been waiting for what seems years for Tiger and the right time to buy. I resisted getting the powerbooks on their last update and get tiger later, and Im glad I did. Im glad with my decision not to wait till summer for yet mroe pb updates as I will be entering teh same old cycle that everyone gets stuck in with computers. Do I buy now or wait a few months for an update?..after a few months it will only be another few months till another update!! Great aint it!! So im jumping on the bandwagon while I can afford it and are going to enjoy the ride. Don't think Ill miss DL DVDs. x8 DVD burning on any format on a super powerful 12" machine is perfect enough!

Good to hear of someone else thinking about switching. I too am a power PC user, I work for various establishments as ICT Technician and Administrator and are looking forward to adding Mac under my belt of technical expertise (So if anyone else out there reading this wants to give me any pointers or advice on mac technical support all is welcome!!!hehe! PM me)

As far as apps and using Mac OS X, I don't need to tell you that it has everything you need. I have brought Office for Mac 2004 for my PB so no prbs with the usual software. Internet is sorted, using Safari, or Firefox (even IE if u must!!). Email is sorted, either Mail or Entourage (Office). Messaging, I think thers loads out there. iChat is supposed to be good, (got MSN Messenger again if u must!)

I think as more people join the Mac more software will become available, thats obvious. Also you've got the peace of mind with security with Mac OS X too!! (But again you can buy Symantec for the Mac if u must!) So theres pretty much a straight mac equivalent for most big apps, or substitutes for others.

I think the only down side is what has already been stated, with the buying Mac formats of software to replace your PC versions, this I've found to be expensive. I too would like Photoshop and perhaps Fireworks and other Studio MX software, but cannot afford it, the PB cost enough!!

I can't wait to start using my mac constantly, I know what you mean about getting bored of Windows, we need something else. Im personally wanting a boost in both performance, productivity and motivation and believe the Mac is the way to go.

One of my friends got a 12" PB and said how much work he got done on it (when previously he was easily distracted or found excuses etc etc!!), he found himself glued to his Mac, loving anything he did on it. Im also excited about joining the Mac community fully and to take part where I can!! People on here are really helpful and can be really welcoming (even if u ask stupid questions sometimes!!)

Again...welcome onboard!! Hope to see you around!!

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My first tip to you as a Mac admin, do NOT install any Symantec products on your Mac. Norton AV, if you must, but NOTHING else. It's all crap and causes significantly more problems then it solves.

13. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Saw the announcement today which verifies that Symantec will not upgrade their Norton Utilities product to support Tiger. From what I hear, that is a good thing. :)

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just did a fresh install (already did an upgrade last week) of Tiger to properly (and finally) get rid of Norton AV. The best thing that's ever happenned to my iBook IMO! Thanks for the tip yellow, it's a great one. :D

15. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Hehe! So Ive heard. Many thanks!! I will remain clear of it!!
    Apple had problems with Virex from McAfee did they not??!!
    I can't wait to do away with all this rubbish!!
    When I told my dad that I didn't need any antivirus or anything on my PB he didnt believe me!! I'll show him! Plus he keeps comparing my PB to his home HP desktop (which was the bees knees in October!!), but Im hoping I'll show him on that front too!! hehe!!

Keep the advice rolling guys!! It helps us all!! Many thanks!!

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Virex and OS X have had a troubled past, yes. McAfee is working on Virex 8 now, trying to create a whole new way to break OS X. :)

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehehe...I personally am not sure I believe Symantec. It may take a while, but Tiger will be supported (to its detriment!) by major AV software.... But I agree with everyone else. Just walk away from that stuff!

18. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Hehe!!! Ah it can only be with a mac that you can laugh about how terrible AV software is when your life depends on it on a PC!!

19. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Congrats!!

Congrats on the decision to switch. You'll be glad you did.

20. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

I have a question as a switcher (still waiting on my Power Mac, though). I have read all the "reasons" why people should switch due to lack of virii and spyware, etc. I am not naive to think that there will never be virus or spyware worries for Mac users. The larger Apples market share gets, the more reason some hacker has to attempt something against the Mac OS.

With that said, however, does one really need to worry about virus software right now? If so, then what do you fellow Mac users suggest? I know I do not want McAfee products. I do not even use them on my Windows machines any longer.

Or... is the Mac OS, being built on Darwin, a form of Unix, kind of like my server, which is running SuSE Linux 9.2 which does not have any virus software running?

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The reason would be mostly analogous to your reason for not running virus software on SuSE (for which it does exist, AFAIK, at least in some limited form). There is some extent to which the security concept in Unix-based systems is arguably more fundamentally solid (and that is a very debatable point). The bigger point is that at most, since there are no viruses for MacOS X (or for Linux, AFAIK), you would only run AV to protect the machine from being a vector for viruses that affect Windows users who interact with it.

Depending on what you're serving, you could argue that you need virus protection more on your server (if it handles, say, e-mail for a number of users, it behooves you to AV that e-mail for Windows viruses), or less (if it is being used by a small number of machines, over which you have complete control, and of which all Windows machines are adequately protected, and esp. if the Mac transmits a lot of files back/forth with Windows users you don't necessarily "trust").

22. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Ah right. This was helpful for me too! Explained why there is AV for the Mac even with no viruses!!

Ta!

23. cube macrumors G4

You still need to configure and activate the firewall.

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

There's also money to be made off of users who don't know any better.

25. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

About the Adium not being able to block people, that is false, all you do is select the contact, click on contacts in the menu bar, and select block.