Making VPC Windows 98 faster on iMac G4

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by swahilibill, Oct 14, 2002.

1. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Hi, I just have a few questions:

First, I want to start using VPC and i just bought it, and i had it on my iBook 600 and it was so damn slow it made me throw it aside. I know have my iMac 800 w/ 256 MB of ram inside and i was wondering if anything but ram can make it run faster? I heard someone in an earler thread said they turned off the "candy" or something inside XP, does that apply to windows 98? I have heard that it does run faster with Jaguar, and i do have that, but anything else out there, any extensions i can turn off?

Second, I have the VPC 5.0 software, and the Windows 98 looks like just a normal windblows installation disk. Does this mean i could use my dads XP disk to install that into VPC 5.0 or do i have to stick with Windows 98?

Thanks in advance!:

PS: I do NOT like windows that much but i do like the pocket pc PDA's and i want to use it on my mac and VPC seems to be the most practical solution.

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

you can install XP with your dads disk, just insert it and make a new Virtual PC and select windows XP as your OS, and then install it like normal.

And adding more ram to your computer will boost VPC heaps, I have 512 and it runs ok, no good but ok, it does the trick.

Anymore questions, just ask

3. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Not be deceived, though, RAM is only useful when the problem is that you are using Virtuam RAM due to a lack of physical RAM. I have actually been dropping the RAM I have allocated to XP. It used to be 300MB but I only use one problem at a time and any program I use is low on RAM requirements so I was just allocating RAM I was not using.

As for the eye candy, I have only seen that in XP (which, BTW, was installed off a PC XP disk NOT a virtual PC install) HOWEVER the lower the resolution you have Windows running at the faster it will move. Also, running in 256 colours makes a HUGE difference. I found a way to run XP in 256 colours since I said in another thread that I could not do it and it runs even faster but I also increased the resolution.

Also, make sure you are running version 5.0.4 which is available from this link