Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by markjones05, Dec 6, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was wondering how to foward an aol account/ yahoo account to the mail app in the dock. What do I type in, ingoing and out going server; also can I use pop or do I have to use imap or exchange. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I don't think you can use AOL's email with a POP account. (You wouldn't be using IMAP with either, so don't worry about it). You can get POP access with Yahoo, but not with their free accounts. You need to pay for it.
  3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    yeah Mail, as with any email program, is meant for real email accounts, like you'd get with an ISP or webhost. AOL is proprietary and will not allow this (more proof that AOL is the worst thing to happen to computers) and yahoo is web-based, so you don't get that access. There is a special software workaround for hotmail accounts, but i don't think there is one for yahoo...

4. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    I use yahoo with POP3 and I use a free account. You won't be able to access it via the web anymore, but somewhere in the settings it asks you whether you want to use the web based mail (could have been lycos though). Anyhoo, here's the SMTP and Incoming servers

SMTP (though most likely it's the one provided by your ISP)
  5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    You can however use your mail to watch your hotmail email! There is a little script (mailbundle) that lets you do this. I haven't found out yet how to do this with Yahoo. The app is called mailpriority.
  6. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Don't even start talking about AOL. I had a friend who couldn't get his dialup AOL connection working properly, he needed a special AOL dialler, you couldn't just use the Windows one (I was a Windows user at the time). It was stupid! The dialler he had didn't support his modem, he had to connect at 28.8 to some special phone number in order to download new software!

Fortunately, that is the only time I've ever had any experience with AOL. I think it took him less than a week to change to a different ISP once I told him to :) - ended up getting a 128 kb/s pseudo-broadband.