Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
After receiving a clipper set for Christmas so I can cut my own hair, I realized how bald I am becoming. This isn't cool at all.

The point of this thread is to discuss balding in general. Are you bald by nature (as opposed to by choice)? At what age did you begin to notice and by when were you at your worst?

Also, does anyone have any insight as to how to realistically prevent or delay the balding? I don't mean special shampoos or Rogaine, but more along the lines of eating certain foods or supplements that actually work? What are the facts? I'm certainly having trouble finding them in the sea of myths and sales pitches Google brings me.

I am going to be 21 in less than 3 weeks and I'm not bald, but well on my way. My hairline resembles the following:

goingbaldxi7.png

My dad was nearly completely bald by 22, and both him and my grandfather are completely bald. My mother and her parents and relatives all have very thick hair, so I am convinced that the whole "it comes from your mother's side" BS is just that.

I don't really mind too much, though, because I was never big on any particular hairstyle, and my girlfriend happens to like bald men, so that always helps. But I'd rather be bald by choice than to not have a say in the matter.

Please discuss.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
Embrace it! Skip the 'solutions' and just deal with the cards you've been dealt, or at least that's the way that I went. I started in my late teens and now, a couple decades later, I'm bald on top with the ring of hair down the sides. I'd never go back, except for sun protection, a bit of warmth, and padding between a hat/helmet and the outside world.

Other than harassment from friends when I was first dealing with the change, I've never had any baldness-induced social issues that weren't caused by my own hurt feelings, and that was all over with a couple of years after it started. If you're OK with it, everyone else will be OK with it.

I've been cutting my own hair for years with a No.2 guard on my Wahl shaver, I get to collect hats for adverse weather situations, I know it's not my hair clogging the drain, and I never did have more problems than anyone else getting dates. Of course, I felt lucky to have guys like Michael Jordan, Patrick Stewart, Ed Harris and others paving the way for we of the Bald Brotherhood ;) .

signed,
Bald and Proud

Here's a brewing moment just 2 years ago (less chance of hair in the beer):
attachment.php

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
It's not all your mother's side. But this is true: If your maternal grandfather is bald, you WILL be bald. That doesn't mean there aren't other causes of baldness.

I have a receding hairline, and a thinning patch on the back of my head. It doesn't look too bad yet, but I imagine in another 10 years or so I'll be quite bald. It's okay, it's just a part of aging.

Atlasland

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2005
London, UK
But this is true: If your maternal grandfather is bald, you WILL be bald. That doesn't mean there aren't other causes of baldness.

This is complete bull****.

Obviously MPB is genetic. But the above quoted statement is little more than an old wives tale.

The first thing
to say is, don't let the situation get you down, someguy. Obvious - but it needs to be said.

Secondly - remeber that though you might think you're really balding, other people probably won't notice, or even care.

Thirdly
, if you're serious about combatting MPB, then look into starting treatments. MPB is treatable these days - Propecia & Minoxidil being the main two treatments. Propecia can carry some side effects, so research it properly first - but consider your options. Nizoral and/or T-Gel shampoos have also been proven/recommended to help slow the process (albeit only a little).

As for eating the right foods - there is nothing concrete on the matter. Howvere eating healthily, taking regular exercise and getting the right vitamins can't hurt at all.

A really good resource is the following forum:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/

Finally - I'll leave you with a ray of hope - Hair Multiplication. This is a therapy being developed in the UK and the US, which, if succesful, will lead to a cure for MPB. It is really gaining credibility - the UK government just approved a £2m grant of public money to aid the reasearch.

It is currently in Phase II testing. It could concieveably be ready by 2009, though it most likely will take a few more years (at least 5 or so) to perfect the technique. Nevertheless, this should offer you some hope.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Thanks for the info, Atlasland.

I should point out that, although understandable, I don't have any worries toward what others may think or say. Only problem I have is that I wish I had thick hair the way some short people wish to be tall and some fat people wish to be skinny.

I will look into Propecia, although I'm not too keen on taking medicine.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I started going bald in 8th grade, and I never had a problem with it :) Right now I don't shave my head just because it's a PITA, but I'll probably shave it again in the near future. So I'm bald both by nature and by choice.

As I learned to live with this (and I'm quite happy being bald), I never looked into delaying/preventing it, so i can't help you there. Sorry!

It's not that bad, actually. And you know what they say about bald men... :rolleyes:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I heard it comes from the mothers father, but if you have reason to believe that you are losing your hair, you probably are.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I have cousins that started to go bald at age 20 and I supposedly have that gene. if it goes I say so be it, I'm not gonna comb it over.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I believe since the completion of the Human Genome Project, genetic research has indeed identified the gene for baldness as being on the mother's side, specifically the father. It's scientific fact.

That being said, of course it is not the only factor - but it always helps to have genetics on your side. ;) :cool: For the record, I totally believe that diet and exercise play a part as well. It's no surprise to me that more and more men seem to be going bald (and there are more health problems in general) in this increasingly-polluted environment we live in, so we have to do everything we can to keep toxins out of our bodies and stay as healthy as we can.

Back to the genetics of baldness though - my mother's father died at 82 with a full head of hair, and both my brother and I have full heads of thick hair, so we're good examples of the gene aspect of baldness. And, frankly, I feel very fortunate, as many guys my age don't have that luxury. That's why whenever anyone asks why I grow my hair longer and fuller, my answer is simple - because I can! ;) I say, if you got it, enjoy it, because many guys can't.

And hey, if you're going bald, there isn't anything you can do about it in terms of a magical cure, so just live with it and enjoy it - no need to fret over something you can't change. :cool:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I like having my hair short, less maintenance, right out of the shower and Im good to go.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
I'll leave you with a ray of hope - Hair Multiplication. This is a therapy being developed in the UK and the US, which, if succesful, will lead to a cure for MPB. It is really gaining credibility - the UK government just approved a £2m grant of public money to aid the reasearch.

It is currently in Phase II testing. It could concieveably be ready by 2009, though it most likely will take a few more years (at least 5 or so) to perfect the technique. Nevertheless, this should offer you some hope.

What exactaly is it? Have you heard of Bosley Institute here in the US? I am contemplating them after having used rogaine and hating it sooo much. At 24 I want to try and nip this before it progresses. I recognize that others in the thread say embrace it, but just like your feelings in favor of that direction, I feel strongly about the other direction.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
I say learn to live with it. Or waste a lifetime and a fortune fighting a losing battle and never learning to be happy with yourself.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
i don't understand why people make this into a huge statement about who you are as a person and being happy with yourself. I love who I am and am very secure in that regard; sometimes too confident. I don't feel badly about who I am or feel that I need to accept myself. I am losing my hair I get that and that's about the end of it. I would like to do something about it because i enjoy having my hair if i have the option. I think people tend to jump from one end of the spectrum to the other about what this means about the individual. I am just looking into taking advantage of something that if available is desirable. No different than my getting a better set of exercise equipment if it comes available and would benefit me (yes I get the obvious difference between weights and an actual genetic component of my body).

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
I'm in my 40's and just have a slight receeding, nothing major, but I don't care. I expected to loose my hair early on since baldness runs in my family but it's hit and miss, some lose all their hair in early 20's, some keep it well into their 60's. I'm lucky and still have 90% or more.

I used to be vain about it until I met a pretty Japanese girl in college who lost all of her hair to alopecia totalis ( I think I spelled that right ). Anywho, she told me about all the hell she went through because of this disorder that caused total hair loss and now she wares wigs. My vanity about my hair just evaporated after that. If I loose it, oh well, I'll still have fond memories of my locks.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
i don't understand why people make this into a huge statement about who you are as a person and being happy with yourself.
Right. Some people are kind of missing the point, but their input is still appreciated.

This has nothing to do with confidence, or being happy with yourself, or whatever. It has everything to do with enjoying having hair and the feeling that I'd rather NOT be bald if I can help it. It is worth it to fight for my hair, even if it is probably hopeless.

That said, I wouldn't mind being bald if the things I try do not work, but I'm not just going to "embrace it". I wouldn't mind gaining 20 or 30 extra pounds if I was eating right and exercising, but if I just sat on my ass and got fat I wouldn't embrace that either. I'd at least try to do something about it.

Atlasland

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2005
London, UK
What exactaly is it? Have you heard of Bosley Institute here in the US? I am contemplating them after having used rogaine and hating it sooo much. At 24 I want to try and nip this before it progresses. I recognize that others in the thread say embrace it, but just like your feelings in favor of that direction, I feel strongly about the other direction.

Bosley currently offer Hair Transplants. This is a surgical procedure. They are the no. 1 provider of this procedure in the US, but they don't have a great reputation amongst the hair loss community. A hair transplant will not affect the balding process itself in any way. What it will do is move some of the hairs on the side of your head to the top of your head, to help you look like you have decent hair coverage. To slow the balding process, the only thing that will realistically work are medicines.

Bosley are also one of the key financial backers of research into Hair Multiplication. So if & when the proceedure succeeds and is approved, then most likely it will be marketed by Bosley.

There is a lot of information on this, and TBH I don't have time to explain everything. So again I will direct people to the following resources:

For general information of hair loss, and possible treatments:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/

Hair Loss forum:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/

In particular you can look at the Hair Muliplication forum:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewforum.php?f=33

When it comes to hair loss, the best thing you can do is EDUCATE YOURSELF.

Read up on the situation, ask questions at that forum, or other online forums. Speak to your doctor, if you can. EDUCATE YOURSELF.

Good Luck.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
Exercise to stay in shape is NOT the same as spreading snake-sperm on one's head to keep hair. Since I'm bald and have actually gone through the whole process, I'll say I'm an expert on the act of going bald, and being FAT from lack of exercise and/or a poor diet has nothing to do with going BALD from genetics. I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous analogy. If you're fat, it's usually a lifestyle thing. If you're bald and you think it's you're fault for wearing a hat too much, you'd better seek professional help, but not from the Hair Club for Men.

I'd say that getting hair replacement for natural loss, not loss due to chemo' or some other non-genetic reason, is more like getting plastic surgery because one doesn't like his or her looks.Hair plugs, or breast enhancement anyone?

You're right though, you can spend you're money any way you'd like. That's how these companies stay in bid-ness, and if there weren't lots of people with anxiety over the same issue they wouldn't be rolling in all that cash.

PS: You could save all that money you'll spend on hair-therapy on a new Mac!

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Exercise to stay in shape is NOT the same as spreading snake-sperm on one's head to keep hair. Since I'm bald and have actually gone through the whole process, I'll say I'm an expert on the act of going bald, and being FAT from lack of exercise and/or a poor diet has nothing to do with going BALD from genetics. I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous analogy. If you're fat, it's usually a lifestyle thing. If you're bald and you think it's you're fault for wearing a hat too much, you'd better seek professional help, but not from the Hair Club for Men.
I wasn't comparing the two side by side. Let me clarify. My point is that IF I were gaining weight like I AM losing hair, I would choose to exercise and change my diet in an effort to reverse or at least halt the process, just like I am choosing now to try and do the same for my hair loss. It is a fair anology because just as being overweight can be a genetic thing or an effect of poor diet and lack of exercise, hair loss can also be either genetic or an effect of some attribute of my behavior (beit my diet, hat-wearing, or otherwise). I think you understand what I mean, so please quit trying to patronize those of us trying to have a discussion.

cyberdot said:
You're right though, you can spend you're money any way you'd like. That's how these companies stay in bid-ness, and if there weren't lots of people with anxiety over the same issue they wouldn't be rolling in all that cash.
I'm going to assume you aren't saying that I have an anxiety about this, because I think I (as well as Aniej) have made it clear that we are simply choosing to look for a solution (whether one exists or not) just the same as you or anyone else chooses to simple live with it.

You are welcome to discuss this with us, but I feel like rather than be a helpful contributor to the thread, you'd rather stir up an argument about little things that aren't helpful to the cause.

@ Atlasland:

The Bosley thing - I understand one cause of baldness is that the skin around the hair follicle closes up and causes the hair to suffocate (for lack of a better term). Am I wrong about this? And if not, wouldn't the same effect take place after a period of time even after having the hair restoration procedure done?

Either way, I don't think I'd be willing to go that far with it. It never hurts to educate myself on my options, though! :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
:confused: I must be screwed up then. I eat healthy, I'm not fat, I excercise daily and I'm as bald (if not more) than Zidane, and I'm not 22 yet! What gives?

I said it plays a part. Being healthy and active definitely can't hurt, but if you have other factors against you (like genes for instance) then it may not necessarily help. ;) Conversely if you just ate crap all day, didn't exercise and didn't give your body the proper nutrients it needs to do what it needs to do, I think this could, in some cases, have an impact on having a full, healthy head of hair.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I said it plays a part. Being healthy and active definitely can't hurt, but if you have other factors against you (like genes for instance) then it may not necessarily help. ;) Conversely if you just ate crap all day, didn't exercise and didn't give your body the proper nutrients it needs to do what it needs to do, I think this could, in some cases, have an impact on having a full, healthy head of hair.

Now ~Shard~, you know what I look like. :) And I'm hair-challenged. ;) Exercise may play a tiny role, but it's by far a small one. That said, OP don't worry about it. Let it go. When it gets to the point of looking bad, just get rid of all you hair. That's what I did, and trust me I have no problem getting dates. I love being bald and wouldn't go back to having hair for anything. It's cheaper and a lot less maintenance. And we all know us guys love things that are cheap and easy. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.