Malfunctioning Screen Issues

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wowoah, Jan 30, 2004.

1. wowoah macrumors regular

I have a PowerBook G4 (Ti) 1GHz and recently I've been noticing some problems with my screen. Every now and then, the blues in the screen will start to flicker or discolor or lighten. Since my desktop is pretty much all blue, it causes these lines to race up the desktop (hard to see them unless you look closely.) When I look at photos, all the blue's look discolored and too light. When I hit any of the Expose buttons, the whole screen starts to flicker. I'm sure this is a hardware problem because when I physically smack the side of the computer, it seems to go back to normal for a couple seconds. I had my screen replaced back in November because of white splotches on the screen, and I'm wondering if it was just improperly installed.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight in this. I have AppleCare on my computer so I could just bring it in I guess, although because I can't consistently replicate the screen problem, I feel stupid bringing it in and having some "genius" look at me like, "dude, there's nothing wrong with it."

Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. wowoah thread starter macrumors regular

I also noticed that it happens often when I tilt my notebook at all. If anyone could offer me some insight, I'd very much appreciate it.

3. jyumibe macrumors newbie

sounds like the cable that connects the screen to the logic board is either loose or faulty. i'm having a similar problem on my Ti800. if i put pressure on the case on the bottom left corner, where the cable connects to the board, it stops.

am out of applecare, so i actually put a piece of plastic inside the case to keep pressure on that spot, which has taken care of the problem for now. i'm not all that happy with the hack fix, but haven't got the money to get it properly fixed either. seems like there's some sort of corrosion either on the board connector or the cable, so that it's not properly seating.

but as you have applecare, just take it to get looked at . . .