Malware advert for systemdoctor

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by kylemad, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kylemad macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Love the site but there's an advert coming through today which is redirecting my browser to www.systemdoctor.com with no choice after showing a popup telling me my computer needs 'cleaning'.

Here's the culpret on the main page:
    (I'm not sure this helps but..)

<div id="googleblock300">
    <!-- BEGIN: AdSolution-Website-Tag 4.3 : MacRumors.com / Home Page Rectangle Dynamic -->
    <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
    Ads_kid=0;Ads_bid=0;Ads_xl=0;Ads_yl=0;Ads_xp='';Ads_yp='';Ads_xp1='';Ads_yp1='';Ads_opt=0;Ads_wrd='[KeyWord]';Ads_par='';Ads_cnturl='';
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="http://a.as-us.falkag.net/dat/cjf/00/15/54/84.js"></script>
    <!-- END:AdSolution-Tag 4.3 -->
    </div>

You're not the only website to have got this advert but it's pretty offensive to have javascript popups telling me I need to clean my computer and taking me away from the page I'm on.

Cheers

2. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

that ad is a pain in the a**. it is a windows only *adware* program.

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

A screenshot might help too.

will look into it.

arn

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

What country are you in? and were you using a Mac at the time?

arn

5. Wender macrumors member

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is it possible that these sites are confusing Intel for Windows.

7. doraemonkey macrumors newbie

Yep, I have got the same problem, and it kinda got me worried for a little bit. So I did a search for "systemdoctor" on this site. I am using Safari 2.04 on OSX on a G4 and I am currently in france. So it has nothing to do with Intel processors. Macrumors isn't the first site where I have had something similar occur. The other was ArsTechnica.

Some one has figured out a way to get around the Popup ad blocking function of safari and even worse forces you to press an "ok" button. I had to force quit Safari to avoid this. I have no idea what the OK does.

If I get this again I'll post a screen shot.

PS. Hi every body... super long time lurker/forum surfer, first time poster. :D

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

[​IMG]

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Country's may help. It seems many of these are targeted at users in Norway alone.

arn

10. doraemonkey macrumors newbie

Thanks for the welcome Macnut. I feel as though I have been here a long time... altho I have been rather discreet.

Does this ad have anything to do with the recent security gaps in OSX? I haven't installed the most recent security update which was yesterday or something.

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

No, it's probably just bad banner ads in the mix somewhere.

arn

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Quite possible, just fired up Safari, logged out and went to the front page. This is what happened:

Picture 1.jpg

And I was sent to another site when I pressed "Cancel".

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Norton spun up some virus dialogues when I arrived at MacRumors this morning (as a guest), met by that same dialogue box. I didn't click anything (well, I don't think I did), but just thought I'd mention that it downloaded a virus onto my PC. It's all okay though because Norton saw it coming. :)

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Didn't have any problems on either page, just "nice" Google ads using all three links...

Picture 1.jpg Picture 2.jpg Picture 3.jpg

16. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Try it again in a day or so. I suspect there's a cookie and IP timeout for it.

arn

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

18. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Ok, I resat Safari and tried again, and that second link (which I tried last this time, after 1 and 3) sent me directly here:

Picture 4.jpg

The pop-up didn't even come up until I tried going back to see what might have caused this:

Picture 5.jpg

...and it was even a double pop-up, this time :rolleyes:

Picture 6.jpg

When I finally got back to the test-page, there wasn't anything apparently suspicious there, though:

Picture 7.jpg

Any help in any of this...?

19. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I've also been getting this, most recently yesterday.

20. doraemonkey macrumors newbie

I don't know where any of this is coming from. But It happened to me at work just now on my G4 powerbook (don't ask me why I am browsing macrumors at work ;) ). And the same thing happened to me at home from another computer. It seems at least that the ads are perhaps european. But Here we see that it isn't Systemdoctor but another one. You can see also that the adspace is empty...

Attached Files:

21. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Tried it in Shiira (emptied cache/removed all cookies), Safari (resat Safari) and Webkit (resat Safari, again). Reloaded page several times. No sign of any problems... :)

23. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Keep trying, maybe after 24 hours. And if others with the same problem can try to, it will help.

arn

24. doraemonkey macrumors newbie

I cleared the cache. and I tried a few times using the link you provided, but nope. The ad or mal-ad is intermittant enough that it is a hard thing to catch perhaps.

I'll keep you informed if I see it again. But it will probably be on the main page again, when I least expect it.

25. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Not only MR...

MacRumors is not the only site that is suffering from this malware ad. A quick Google search gives these results...

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=nb-no&q=errorsafe+ad&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Seems like users in Norway, Denmark, France and Spain are affected the most.

BTW. I have seen the ad here at MR and over at AppleInsider today. I have cleared the cache and all cookies, but have seen the ad since. If I do, I will post pictures and other details...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.